Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing 20 pounds of pulled pork today since I work the weekend. The coworkers should love their weekend tasty treat.

I have to work Sunday for a few hours so usually on Sundays. My sales manager and I usually bring something to snack on sunday since it's a short day. I'm going to smoke some ABT's with cheddar and lil' smokies stuffed inside. ABT"s were a hit prior but haven't done them with little smokies yet.

Pretty excited!

Gotta big butt goin' right now. Kids got the camera so no pics...:mad:...I'll try to get some later.

OK, got a pic...here's the beast about 4 hours in.

Butt1_zpse5f504f2.jpg

I have some mini-sausage stuffed ABT's that I just put on the smoker this morning. Nothing like a cup of coffee and the wonderful aroma of hickory in the morning!

image-859983208.jpg

Another pork shoulder gets the nod this weekend. Injected with Cajun butter, rubbed with famous Dave's rib rub. Blue K with a couple chunks of apple.

Picked up a gen 1 MasterBuild 30 the other week. Been really using it a lot.

Brewed up some pale ale last saturday while I smoked a chunk-o-brisket in it.

Made Hot smoked salmon last night.

Got a little AMNS thing coming tomorrow, so going to do some ribs in it Sunday.

Just wish I had some homebrew to go with it. Oh well, I'm filling the pipeline by brewing on Saturday.

Going to do some bone-in chicken thighs this weekend. I sprinkle them with homemade rub and then smoke them for about an hour with hickory. After an hour I baste with some sauce and throw them on a grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin and caramelize the sugar in the sauce.

Also going to do some twice-baked potato skins to go with the thighs. Bake potatos and then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato. Sprinkle a little rub on the skins and throw in the smoker for 30 to 45 minutes. At the same time smoke/roast a head of garlic with olive oil. While smoking the skins, make mash potatoes and when the garlic is done add the roasted garlic to the mashed potatoes. When the skins are done, fill them with the roasted garlic potatoes, chives, bacon bits, and shredded cheese and put back in the smoker until the cheese is melted. Be sure to make a bunch because the potatoes will be even better the next day after a night in the refrigerator. Yum.

Wow those skins sound fan-freaking-tastic. I'll have to give me a shot sometime soon.

They are one of my family's favorites. I forgot to add that I usually sprinkle a little more rub over the skins before I put them back in the smoker to melt the cheese. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Helping the in-laws with a landscaping project on Saturday, so I'll probably throw a pork butt on the WSM in the morning so we can have sandwiches at the end of the day. Yep, I'm a pretty kick-ass son-in-law.

Run'n 3.5lbs of "Eye of Rib" through the egg for some more beef jerky. Finally starting to get some jerky I'm proud of :)

One of the keys to getting good slices for me, has been [semi] freezing the meat and using a deli slicer. The jerky comes out uniform and the slices look great.

Been doing the diet thing for 6 mnths now. I've even cut back on beer (eeeeh). The weather decent, its time to jump off the wagon and get some ribs going on the pit. Mouth is watering in anticipation.

do it!

Lot's of good options out there. Maybe even check craigslist? Id take a good look at the Weber Smokey Mountain as a SOLID entry into the world of smokers.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Been doing a lot of fishing lately so I think a smoker is quickly becoming a necessity.

Haha little meteorite!! I love it. Today I cooked a rack of untrimmed spares hot n fast no foil till they weeped that pig honey! Rubbed with yardbird just to try it. Came out pretty decent, it could've gone another 30 min or so, just a bit fatty.

This thread looks awesome! Going to be flipping through the pages for a while for ideas. Just picked up a mak 1 star pellet pooper, can't wait to put it to use.

40 lbs of good shoulder. Just spiced and wrapped tonight. Got cherry wood and pecan standing by.

Tnoodle that looks pretty tasty. I give you five stars for that. :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar: . Got me really looking forward to this weekend.

40 lbs of good shoulder. Just spiced and wrapped tonight. Got cherry wood and pecan standing by.

Tnoodle that looks pretty tasty. I give you five stars for that. :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar: . Got me really looking forward to this weekend.

Catering a wedding or what? 40lbs?

Thanks it was awesome. How much did 40 lbs of shoulder cost?

Catering a wedding or what? 40lbs?

Huge family get together. Every time I make this, it disappears. I was asked to do another 30 for work next week. People like big butts (pork shoulder that is). On average I would say I smoke up 40 lbs a month. Pork shoulder is great with cherry wood and a hint of pecan smoke. I made the mistake at the last family get together of doing 10 lbs and we ran short. Not happening again lol. I can fit 40 comfortably in my modified electric smoker.

Looking through all these post there are some very impressive and mouth watering photos.

Thanks it was awesome. How much did 40 lbs of shoulder cost?

Total $65 with tax. Not a bad deal at all. I buy from a little meat market next to me to show support for small business and they are great about getting me good cuts of meat. Really cool people there. I really need to give them some homebrew because they are just awesome.

Total $65 with tax. Not a bad deal at all. I buy from a little meat market next to me to show support for small business and they are great about getting me good cuts of meat. Really cool people there. I really need to give them some homebrew because they are just awesome.

You really need to take care of those people. I get my beef from my family's farm, and I get my pork from a local farmer that raises hogs. My dad and I go half's on a whole hog from him.

Smoking a ton of stuff - got some buckboard bacon curing right now for smoking later, going to do a chicken or two and, why the heck not, I'll throw a brisket in there as well.

Also got that sausage grinder/stuffer attachment for the mixer, so I'll try my hand at making some brats and maybe even making some fresh ground hamburger. Should be a glorious, gluttonous weekend.

Back