First Lager, any Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
Hey folks, I will be brewing my first lager this Sunday. My Keezer is slowly making its way down to about 54(F) and will be ready to pull double duty (cold crashing my fully fermented mead, and keeping my lager to 56(F) or so).

From what I have read, the process is nearly identical to an Ale vice the fermentation temperatures, which I have covered via my Keezer.

Anyone have any tips or last minute advice for a new lager(er?) on my first lager? Ales a plenty, but bottom fermenting yeast is a new feat for me.

Cheers!:tank:

Lager is really very simple. The only things that make it hard are

1. You must pitch a starter, and
2. You must control your temp in fermentation.

If u can do these two additional steps you will find success.

Else. Wait.

Good luck!

A keezer w/o a PID or other temp controller will swing the temp a great deal. You might consider a dedicated temp control unit other than a standard thermostat.

Make sure it's cold brewed.

And if you're uncomfortable with the bottom fermentation, just turn it upside-down.

Make sure it's cold brewed.

And if you're uncomfortable with the bottom fermentation, just turn it upside-down.

HAHAHA! Thanks for the tips folks, yup, I've got a 1.6L starter of S23 and my keezer's controller is set at 54 (53-59 is optimal according to the yeast).

I should be mashing in here soon, wish me luck!

hipturn said:
lager is really very simple. The only things that make it hard are

1. You must pitch a starter, and
2. You must control your temp in fermentation.

If u can do these two additional steps you will find success.

Else. Wait.

Good luck!

+1

Patience. You will want to lager your beer at least 8 weeks, but more would be better. It sucks to wait that long, but your patience will be rewarded. The difference between a beer lagered 5 weeks and one lagered 9 weeks is stark.

With S23 I'd recommend pitching at 44 and raising it to 50-52 for fermenting. In my experience it works wonders for that yeast and eliminates a d-rest. I'm currently drinking a Märzen which I did that way with S23 and its by far my best lager to date.

With S23 I'd recommend pitching at 44 and raising it to 50-52 for fermenting. In my experience it works wonders for that yeast and eliminates a d-rest. I'm currently drinking a Märzen which I did that way with S23 and its by far my best lager to date.

Interesting... I'm about to begin my boil and I have my Keezer sitting at 54. My only concern is getting my mead too cold (It will be my lager's keezer-mate for the next 6 weeks or so). I definitely planned on pitching at 54 and carefully monitoring my temp to ensure it stays there.

I think I will try your idea for my next lager, that way I can experience the difference first-hand. Since this is my first lager, it is a pretty basic recipe with simple procedures.

I am loving the tips folks, most of them I already practice, some I am logging and considering doing, and others, well, fermenting upside-down presents a bit of an airlock concern :D

All is well so far, I have just started my boil and read a pre-boil efficiency of 80.2% on my mash. Should be a lovely brew when all is said and done.

Back