What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple to add to this interesting thread, the first being Dark Horse Brewing Co. Perkulator. Awful to say the least. And the second being Dark Seas from Mission Brewery. Didn't dump neither but came real close!

I started out liking Victory beers but then it seemed as though they lost control over hop additions, to me a beer with that much hops is soapy tasting. I don't get the point, one can only pick up and taste so many IBUs, they are just wasting good hops just so they can market that they use WAY to much hops.
Now on to Sam Adams beer....Boston Lager is good....I'll lever it at that.

I really like abita restoration pale ale. Good hop aroma and taste and a nice malt to round out the taste. Purple haze was just OK and the same with turbo dog.

I wouldn't personally put them on my list of worst beers at all.

Well it seems the only reason Purple Haze was listed earlier as the worst beer is because of the name. People have been doing that in this thread. I dont think they are getting the point where it's one beer from the brewery that was so digusting with

Well it seems the only reason Purple Haze was listed earlier as the worst beer is because of the name. People have been doing that in this thread. I dont think they are getting the point where it's one beer from the brewery that was so digusting with

...Off flavors and you can hardly drink it. Not because its a Hipster beer or cause it has a bad name or you don't like styles or its too hoppy in your opinion or you don't like the brewmaster or any of that other ****.

Andrikos said:
I've seen it mentioned before and I'll add my 2 cents:

Stone 12/12/12. Oh man, and I love Stone beers...

It drinks like a Clove Syrup challenging you to finish the bottle. I couldn't.
It probably could use aging, but at what point did the brewer think: "Yeah, it will be drinkable in 3-5 years?"

I second that first beer I dumped

Hey there folks, let's try to keep this as on topic as possible. The topic is the worst CRAFT BREW you've ever had, not your least favorite brewery or trashing of macrobrews.

For example, I opened this thread thanks to the gawd awful Maple Bacon Donut brew from Rogue. Everything else I've had from them has been good to amazing.

Please name a specific brew that you found especially atrocious. And also add why.

Thanks, folks, and let's keep this active, because there's a lot of experiments out there that brewers are doing that are fails. I see this thread as being a repository for caution on weird brews.

Henry Weinhard's was absolutely great until it sold its soul to the devil.

Blue Dog Mead was utterly tasteless.

Coincidentally, they were both from Oregon :D

I agree, Henry Weinhard's used to not suck. My first choice for nasty is EKU 28, followed by Red Tail Ale; all I could taste was a nasty metallic that wouldn't go away. I guess now it was probably the hops they used, But to me it still sucked.

New worst beer

Wicked Beaver Cream Weaver "cream ale". Smells like a concession stand at a summer jam concert, and tastes like plastic coated popcorn

Stones Arrogant Bastard. I know everybody raves about it but the bottle I had was very off putting. Maybe it was just a bad bottle, but didn't want to buy another one to find out.

Stones Arrogant Bastard. I know everybody raves about it but the bottle I had was very off putting. Maybe it was just a bad bottle, but didn't want to buy another one to find out.

Blasphemy! It must have been a bad bottle (note the quote at the bottom of my signature) ;)

Leinenkugel's berry Weiss. My wife got it and neither of us could finish a bottle. I think we forced it upon friends that visited to get rid of it.

I'm actually a fan of most Leinenkugel. A lemon berry shandy is a deliciously refreshing drink after mowing the yard

The lemon berry shandy is, somewhat embarrassingly, pretty tasty. Berry Weiss is nasty though. Way, way too sweet.
Although, considering Leinenkugel craft at this point is a bit of a stretch.

I can't think of any!!! Possibly the Cherry one by Sam. Not that it was very bad, and possibly wouldn't consider the brewery to be very "craft," but it was a weird brewski.

Even though it wasn't the worst, I had a Goose Island IPA on a date last week with my two ladies (my wife and 8 week old daughter). It was just middling and I expected more.l

I think as part of this, when someone mentions a flavor of the terrible beer and it is an obviously brewing flaw (oxidation, DMS, etc.), folks should respond with their take.

It's like beer tasting bingo and pretty helpful for me. Thoughts? This is a home brewing site ...

The Nastiest one I have had to date was the Sams Maple Walnut brew. First taste was not bad but the second and everyone there after was nasty, It was part of a sampler pack and I ended up pouring out most of the 1st one and both of the other 2.

Every finished beer has its pairing. If you have the right flavor in your mouth before you have any of these beers, then they will be significantly better.

Every finished beer has its pairing. If you have the right flavor in your mouth before you have any of these beers, then they will be significantly better.

It's true that the right food can increase the enjoyment of a beer. But if it is required, that beer is a massive failure.

Even though it wasn't the worst, I had a Goose Island IPA on a date last week with my two ladies (my wife and 8 week old daughter). It was just middling and I expected more.l

Can't expect much from goose island...that stuff is all mediocre at best. Same page as Sam Adams in my book.

dannypo said:
I'll agree with you about Goose Island's standards, but their Belgian inspired stuff like Matilda or Sophie are awesome.

2011 Sophie is unbelievable right now if you like that style

the nastiest craft beer i ever had is boddington's pub ale. slimy, nasty crap. i gagged and dry-heaved, and couldn't give the other cans away, so i dumped them out

the nastiest craft beer i ever had is boddington's pub ale. slimy, nasty crap. i gagged and dry-heaved, and couldn't give the other cans away, so i dumped them out

Boddington's is mass produced crap, and it's owned by AB Inbev so I don't see how you can call it "craft".

Admittedly, I did not read thru all 99 pages, but I did a search to find that Belzebuth out of France was not on this list....HOW?

Consider that drain cleaner on the list now.

OK, its no Sam Adams Cherry Wheat *gag*, but Sea Dog's "Apricot" is pretty terrible. Yes, I dumped half a bottle last night. Basically tastes like a pretty boring ale injected with a high dose of artificial apricot flavoring. But it sure smelled fruity! :D

I'll agree with you about Goose Island's standards, but their Belgian inspired stuff like Matilda or Sophie are awesome.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. I work for a beer distributor and I had a rep give me a Sofie at a local beer fest. I don't even drink Belgians, as I'm more of a hop head, but I will say that it was delicious...although I did have a decent jag on when I drank it.haha

I'll agree and disagree on Goose Island. I actually like the IPA. I haven't had Sofie yet, but Matilda is fantastic and I'm not a huge Belgian drinker either. On the down side, Green Line has definitely changed for the worse over the last year and I don't even want to get started on 312. Since they moved it to NY it's almost undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back