Wlp645

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
Experimenting with a Brett beer and after buying the yeast I'm noticing there is very little cake in te bottom (the same for all the vials). Is this something I should make a starter on or am I better off stressing the yeast when I pitch?

you need to make large starters when doing a brett primary, lager sized is the general recommendation. the WLP ones have very low counts in them so you need to step it up

You want to do a 1 liter starter and give it a week or two depending on how much you can aerate. Then you want to take what you've grown up and probably do another 1 liter starter on the same time frame.

Experimenting with a Brett beer and after buying the yeast I'm noticing there is very little cake in te bottom (the same for all the vials). Is this something I should make a starter on or am I better off stressing the yeast when I pitch?

You really get shorted on the white labs vials for brett and lacto. They are horribly insufficient for a primary fermentation.

White Labs says though that the amount in the vial is intended for secondary fermentation. So yes, you will need a substantial starter and time to create sufficient yeast for fermentation.

Starter engaged. Think I might let it run for a couple weeks and split it up...have a Brett reserve.

Latest posts

Back