Straining before pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drat

Reaction score
Should I be straining my cooled wort of hops after the boil or should I leave the hops in the wort while I pitch?

Completely optional. I usually pour back and forth with my bottling bucket then tie a hop bag onto the spigot of the bucket to catch the hops a and break material when adding the wort to mu carboy. i do this if I want to wash and save the yeast afterwards.

I find the splashing of the wort while straining gives me a bit more aeration as well.

BadDeacon said:
Completely optional. I usually pour back and forth with my bottling bucket then tie a hop bag onto the spigot of the bucket to catch the hops a and break material when adding the wort to mu carboy. i do this if I want to wash and save the yeast afterwards.

I find the splashing of the wort while straining gives me a bit more aeration as well.

I've done the washing of yeast as well and that's always been a concern for me in allowing a lot of trub (mostly hop material) into the primary. Thoughts?

I would assume allowing some of the hop material would leave a little more hop aroma in the final product, but I'm unsure about that.

Brulosopher said:
Some trub in the fermenter can actually be agood thing.

Can you explain? What are the potential benefits?

I strain the chilled wort & top off water going into the fermenter to keep all the gunk out. Pouring in a circular motion also makes the liquid come out the fine mesh strainer like rain,aerating the wort. I like to wash yeast,but I also like only getting 3/8-1/2" of compacted yeast/trub in the bottom of primary come bottling day. More clear beer for me...:mug:

As far as the straining with yeast washing: i just feel that keeping the plant material away from the yeast will keep any grassy favors out of any further batches. Also I think it helps in getting the cake as small as possible.

Also no one likes all the hop crud left in the top of the fermenter as primary fermentation winds down.

drat said:
Can you explain? What are the potential benefits?

I'm not sure, I've only heard anecdotal stories. I've tested it myself, 10 gal split, one no trub, the other a ****load-- no difference in the finished beer.

Well,yeah,after all,trub is just yeast poop. Less is better,unless you look at it like having constipated yeasties...:drunk:

Back