Can I save hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
The recipe I have today calls for 3/4 ounce of Cluster hops. Can I save the other 1/4 ounce in a ziplock bag in the freezer or something?

Yes, but not too long. A month in the freezer is fine, at 6 months you will be losing some of the aroma but they will work fine for bittering and flavoring. At a year the aroma will be pretty well gone. I have some in unopened bags that have changed within that year's time.

Will they still be as good when I use them someday?

No, they will continually lose a little of the aroma. The sooner you use them the better but if 3 years go by and you haven't used them, throw them away. It it was only a month I wouldn't worry as the aroma loss is slow enough that you wouldn't be able to tell.

I used one way valved coffee bags (sold at morebeer.com) and put then in the freezer, good for 3 months.

I'd just chuck the extra 1/4 ounce into the beer. I don't think you will notice any difference.

I used one way valved coffee bags (sold at morebeer.com) and put then in the freezer, good for 3 months.

If you have a vacuum sealer, the foodsavers now have jar sealers.

You can seal any size mason jar with its lid and make it air tight, giving you ample space to store lots of hops.

Latest posts

Back