Homebrew competitions in Alabama?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
So, with the surprise passage of HB9 last night, homebrewing will finally be legal in Alabama within a matter or days (provided that Governor Bentley does not veto the bill, which he is not expected to do).

I just finished reading the entire text of the bill. I was already aware of the major provisions (cap of 15 gallons production per quarter, cap of 15 gallons on premise at any one time, violation is a misdemeanor instead of the old felony).

I did see that we will be allowed to transport up to ten gallons at a time for homebrewing competitions, events, etc. However, those events will need to be licensed by the ABC (beverage control board). Does anyone have any idea how much such a license will cost?

I cannot wait to finally get involved in this aspect of the hobby - festivals, competitions, etc.

I can't wait to see it as a normal event in Alabama. I'm not really into competition but if one were close enough to me I might be inclined to see how bad my beer really is. :)

I can't wait to see it as a normal event in Alabama. I'm not really into competition but if one were close enough to me I might be inclined to see how bad my beer really is. :)

You and me both. And even if competitions aren't the big thing, I would love to do some festivals.

homebrewdad said:
You and me both. And even if competitions aren't the big thing, I would love to do some festivals.

Found this with google search for "Alabama ABC special events license." This is the type of permit required for a homebrew competition according to the HB9 text.

See page 8:

http://www.abcboard.state.al.us/PDFs/Pre_Application_Packet.pdf

Looks like a pain in the $&# to me.

Back