Ok another question!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanderson

Reaction score
I put my beer in my primary fermenter ( plastic bucket with spigot and airlock) on Monday. After about 28 hours I had airlock activity. Today ( Wednesday morning ) I have not activity in the airlock is this bad?

No, it is common. Let it ride for a couple weeks before you even think about your beer again. Back away from the fermenter! Yeast at work!

When I started brewing back in February, I thought learning the steps/science/etc behind brewing would be the hardest part......I was wrong..... Waiting is the hardest part!!!!

To keep myself occupied, I do ciders, mead, and two gallon beer batches oh the side.

The fermentation process of beer is composed of 3 phases: Lag, Active, and cleanup

The lag phase or growth phase is when the yeast consume the oxygen from aerating the wort and nutrients to multiply up to a healthy strong colony to begin fermenting the wort

Active fermentation is the time the yeast are actually consuming the sugars present to convert to alcohol. This is the time you see krausen development and lots of airlock activity

Cleanup is after active fermentation begins to subside and the yeast begin consuming their own fermentation by products as well as chew through the remaining sugars to achieve FG. This is the period of time that can take the longest and appear as though nothing is happening when in fact there is still activity.

Obviously this is a very basic explanation of the process. The lag/growth phase can take up to 72 hours, active can occur over a period of 3-5 days generally, sometimes less, sometimes more. The final phase can take an additional week or two depending on the strain, how well the wort was aerated, how fermentable the wort was, etc.

I agree,it's fine. You just saw the end of initial fermentation. It'll now slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products after the sugars are gone. It'll settle out clear or slightly misty at the same time.

Back