Earl Gray wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg595

Reaction score
Found a recipe for a tea wine. It said you could use any tea. So I used Earl Gray.
I think its one of the fullest flavored teas out there. Or I like it. The starting SG was 1.050. It said to start at 1.040. What's that going to do to the wine?

Red star. Bread yeast. That's what the recipe called for. And yeast nutrient, acid blend, and campden tab.

I have yeast that I use for Mead. D47 and K1V-1116. But didn't use it.

Not really a target SG. But its what the recipe said. So I kinda fallowed it. I was gonna use the d 47. But really didn't know if I could.

I also have been thinking of doing an Earl grey beer/ wine.. just wondering if you could brew it like Skeeter pee and use less of a backing sugar. Also. Could I use the yeast cake left after my pee is done

I haven't done the Skeeter pee yet. So dont really know about that. But the Earl Gray wine smells really good I've done. It don't smell like tea anymore. I'm still waitng for it to come of age to drink. But what I've tasted off the hydrometer is really good. Ill have to try the pee next.

would you mind posting the recipe or a link to it. this sounds like something i might want to try

Sure. Here's the recipe.

I brew the tea in my coffee pot. (After cleaning it really good). But the recipe calls for instant tea.
5 table spoons instant tea.
(I used 10 Earl gray tea bags)
1/2 pt white grape concentrate
( I didn't use the white grape. Wanted it to taste like tea. Not grapes.)
Water to a gal
2 1/2 lbs sugar
( I used honey too. At the end.)
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp nutrient
1 campden, crushed
1 pkg red star bread yeast
Brew the tea in a pot. Pour sugar in primary. Pour tea over sugar. Stir thoroughly.
Water to 3/4 gal. Add all other ingredients. ( except yeast.) Check SG. ( I had mine at 1.060. Kinda low.) But it says it should be 1.095 to 1.105. ( I brought mine the rest the way up with honey.) Make a yeast starter. After 12 hours pour yeast starter in. Stir like crazy. Cover with cloth for 3 to 5 days. Stirring every 12 hours or so. Twice a day. When SG drops to 1.040 siphon wine off sediment into secondary fermentor and airlock. When ferment reaches 1.000 ( about 3 weeks) siphon off sediment into clean secondary. Airlock. Siphon off in 2 months and again if necessary until clear before bottling.
I just made mine the first of this month. So I really have no ideal how its going to be. But it smells really good off the airlock. Hope this helps ya. There are coffee wines that are done the same way too. And the next one I do. Ill use D47 or K1V-1116 instead of the bread yeast.

ok thanks. I have a few things i would like to clarify

1. you said you didnt use grape juice i assume you used water instead
2. to make a coffee wine i would just brew up coffee instead of tea and follow the same
3. you would suggest using bread yeast or one of the wine yeast for a first try at this

I pretty much just made a really sweet gal of tea. And just used water.
The tea and coffee recipe I have is the same. There's no difference in them. But it says to use instant.
And I wont use bread yeast again. Its abv wont be very high. And bread yeast seems to have a more yeasty taste to it.

Theses a couple tea wine recipe in this forum too. They don't call for bread yeast.

Back