Orange Pale Ale Spin-Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I like the idea of of blacklabs Orange Pale Ale recipe. I have brewed it before and liked it but now i would like to give the recipe a different identity so I am not a recipe stealer ;) I want to try and make it more a IPA so here is the recipe i came up with keep in mind this is a 11 gallon recipe:

20lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
1.5 lbs Crystal 10l
1.5 lbs Vienna
1 lb White Wheat Malt

5 oz. Cascades at 60 min (60 IBU)
5 oz. Cascades at 0 min
4 oz. Cascades Dry Hopped in Carboys (2 oz per carboy)
Where I am up the in air big time is the amount of Orange. I would use fresh orange zest and I am wondering if i should use less than 4 total ounces. i was thinking more like 3 ounces fresh zest would do it.

2-Packages of SafeAle-04

What does everybody think? The white wheat is for head retention that's why the small amount.

We must be thinking on the same wavelength, I had an idea for a very similar beer based off a proven Sitka Spruce pale ale recipe I've brewed a couple of times in the last few months:

"Spruce Moose" 5.5-gal recipe:
12lbs 2-row pale
1lb Vienna
1lb Munich
75-min mash at 152 degrees

0.5 oz Magnum at 60 min
1 oz Mt. Hood at 30 min
500g Sitka Spruce tips at 0 min
60-min boil, 1.050 SG pre-fermentation
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Obviously this would be hess hoppy than your version, but 500g of spruce tips gives a very citrusy note and a little bitterness.

I have 700g spruce tips left and was considering re-brewing the recipe with a little wheat added for head retention and the zest of three citrus fruits (orange, tangelo, grapefruit?). Dr. Scott's Belgian Whit recipe calls for the zest of four oranges so I figured one less citrus would be about right.

Back