bottle blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
So I had an odd thing occur with bottles. Never had a problem before. I made a batch of Centennial blonde a month ago. Carbed to 2.5 volumes. A little too fizzy for me and you do get a large head when poured, but nothing that would I say it was overcarbed.
I've had three bottles in the batch have their bottoms blow out within a 3 day span. I'm drinking one now and they still don't seem like they're overcarbed beyond a reasonable range.

I've used these bottles about 5-6 times already. Do they weaken over time?

No I have reused bottles....Well far to many times to count and never had a blow out. Are you using a oven to sanitize them or something? I could see that weakening them.

Or the beer wasn't at a stable FG yet when you bottled. That's usually the culprit. 2.5 volumes of co2 shouldn't do that on it's own.

Well, it was 3 weeks in primary and the last 3 days the FG never changed.

It was a PITA too, because by the time I realized, the beer soaked into the carpet that the case was on and dried into a mess.

I'm looking deeper and deeper into kegging. But I'm sure that has its issues also.

Well,you say the FG never changed,but was it in range for the recipe? If it stalled higher,it could cause the problem you described.

I almost always carb to 2.5 volumes, never had that (or anything similar) happen. I use recycled 9" longneck commercial throwaway bottles for almost all of my beers. Some of them have been used 5-6 times. As has been mentioned, I would look first to not reaching FG before bottling.

This was Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I got an OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.012. I don't know if I could have expected any further attenuation from Notty yeast at 64F?

I need to find my sweet spot with my beers and carbing. I just tried a raspberry wit that I have had in the bottle for 2.5 weeks. I tried to cut down the fizz by only carbing that beer to 2.0 volumes, but it is a bit flat for my taste. Maybe 2.3 volumes for my next blonde ale in primary.

Back