Hello! New to brewing and new to the forum as well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeatherD

Reaction score
Like the title says, so how is everyone! A little about myself, I've been wanting to buy a home brewing kit for awhile now, and after a little research I'm planing on buying the "Brewing Basics Plus Kit" from midwestsupplies.com. Right now I'm wondering if that is over the top or not enough. I've read quite a bit that people have gone off and bought the carboy and suggest buying the kit updgrade. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The basic plus kit is what I got when first starting, its perfect but add a wine thief you will need it to take gravity readings. This is great for extract brewing

My next addition was a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gal pot, then a keg as a brew pot and home made cooler for mash tun and batch sparging.

Point is you can add as you gain experiance but the basic plus kit plus wine thief is the minimume I would start with.

EDIT

OOPs I started with the the "starter plus kit" because of the carboy and auto siphon its the minimum I would start with

Welcome! I got the $99 brew kit with the 5 gal glass carbon and love it but I as you'll see on here, secondary isn't always needed. Good luck with whatever you buy!!

The basic plus kit is what I got when first starting, its perfect but add a wine thief you will need it to take gravity readings. This is great for extract brewing

My next addition was a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gal pot, then a keg as a brew pot and home made cooler for mash tun and batch sparging.

Point is you can add as you gain experiance but the basic plus kit plus wine thief is the minimume I would start with.

EDIT

OOPs I started with the the "starter plus kit" because of the carboy and auto siphon its the minimum I would start with

Thanks! Most likely going to end up with what you did in the beginning mostly for the carboy. Up until now I had never heard of the wine thief, so that is a most definite buy now.

@nickydballs - Thanks, I plan on buy the kit this week so hopefully I can be brewing within the month :tank:

The auto shiphon also, makes it easy you'll see when you use it, why they don't include a wine thief is beyond me, it also makes taking readings easy.

You don't have to transfer or secondary in the carboy but it does free up the primary fermenter for another batch so it helps

Ah okay, so from what I've gathered so far is that a carboy is used for fermentation storage so you can start another batch and also it helps work on clarity and quality of the brew by letting the yeast and other sediment fall to the bottom of the brew, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah okay, so from what I've gathered so far is that a carboy is used for fermentation storage so you can start another batch and also it helps work on clarity and quality of the brew by letting the yeast and other sediment fall to the bottom of the brew, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah,some folks secondary,but you don't need to to get clear beer. Just leave it in primary till it reaches Fg. then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. then rack to bottling bucket & bulk prime. At any rate,don't rack to secondary till the beer is at FG at least. I'd prefer after settling out myself to let the yeasties get rid of any off flavors,etc before racking.
Secondaries are usefull for opening up the fermenter for another one though. Just do the things I mentioned first.

Latest posts

Back