Hoppiness is an IPA conversion to PM question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlavas

Reaction score
I am considering this recipe from Brewing Classic Styles...Was thinking about trying to convert it to a PM...

The extract recipe calls for 9.75 lb of LME, .5 lb Munich LME, 1 lb crystal 15L, .25 lb crystal 40L, 4 oz hops...

Considering that I am using a 5gal brew pot I have mashed and sparged with 2 gals each with 5 lbs of grain comfortably on other recipes, but these were kits.

The AG version calls for 12.75 lb of two row and .75 Munich to replace the extract.

My assumption would be the PM would use all of the specialty grain and hops, that includes 1.25 SG and 4oz hops...

How much base grains and extract should I use?

I would use .75 pound of Munich (Munich LME isn't 100% Munich malt, as far as I know), and keep the other grains.

If you want to mash with 5 pounds of grains total, I'd do this:

.75 pounds Munich malt
.5 pound crystal 15L
.25 crystal 40L
3.5 pounds US two-row

7 pounds LME (or 5.5 pounds DME)- pale or light

I'd suggest adding the majority of the extract at flame out.

Are you cutting back on the crystal 15L to round out at 5 lb of grain total per my request of 5 lb? If so I could certainly make it 5.5 of grain...

when you use DME at flameout will it mix well or should I boil it until it does...

You are always helpful, thanks...

Are you cutting back on the crystal 15L to round out at 5 lb of grain total per my request of 5 lb? If so I could certainly make it 5.5 of grain...

when you use DME at flameout will it mix well or should I boil it until it does...

You are always helpful, thanks...

Oh, I just didn't see that it was a whole pound of crystal 15L. You can either go to 5.5 pounds if you want, or reduce the two-row to 3 pounds.

It's easiest to use a whisk to really break up the clumps, but you can do it at flame out.

Back