Carbonation......over-carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFace

Reaction score
Just a quick question. This is how it goes, I have some beer ready to be chilled and drank. It has aged 2 weeks per usual in bottles to carbonate the brew. The problem is my fridge space can't fit all the brew right now (still have some from my last brew, gotta learn to space better, lol). Is it harmful to the beer in any way to remain at room temp for longer than 2 weeks?

How long is to long? I don't want to over carbonate it.

Cheers,
BrewFace

If your beer had completed fermentation and you used the right amount of priming sugar it will carbonate to the proper amount and stop as the yeast will have consumed all the sugar and produced the CO2 for carbonation. I don't know how long is too long in the bottle but I have a stout that has been in the bottle for well over a year at room temp and it is really good.

Is it harmful to the beer in any way to remain at room temp for longer than 2 weeks?

Good Grief, no! You can leave beer for months and *years* at room temperature.

In fact everything I ever read most beers will take three to six weeks to reach peak maturity. And most of these threads say that's a minimum and they'd let heavier beers go for months before refridgerating.

My understanding is that eventually the priming sugar gets all consumed so you don't over-carbonate (unless there was too much sugar to begin with). Just think of commercial beer. You don't rush to shove that in the fridge for fear of overcarbonation, do you?

You are perfectly fine to let it sit at room temp. The yeast will eat all of the priming sugar; at that point, they will go dormant, and carbonation will remain steady.

I have quite a few bottles that are a year and a half old, and they still taste great (some better than they were back when the beer was young).

Back