Boil temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippin

Reaction score
I'm curious if there's a temp that shouldn't be exceeded when boiling the wart?? Can't bad things happen if it gets too hot?? I keep mine at a slow boil, or just boiling .. Any thoughts?

It doesn't matter if it's boiling a little or a lot. The temperature is exactly the same. Water boils at 212 at sea level and that's fixed.

Is it true that a rolling boil will somehow cause more evaporation vs a slow boil? Is it because even though 212 is the max, the reality is that not all water reaches this temp and that is what differentiates a rapid vs slow boil? Sorry, the extent of my cooking knowledge is helping my wife clean up afterwards! :)

Is it true that a rolling boil will somehow cause more evaporation vs a slow boil? Is it because even though 212 is the max, the reality is that not all water reaches this temp and that is what differentiates a rapid vs slow boil? Sorry, the extent of my cooking knowledge is helping my wife clean up afterwards! :)

Yes, the more vigorous the boil, the faster the boil-off rate will be. However, a vigorous boil helps to drive of DMS when mashing with pilsen malt.

Agree with all of the above. I usually turn the heat up to reach the boil (1 hr on the stovetop, 25 minutes on the propane burner) and then turn it down to maintain a steady rolling boil. BTW, boilovers usually occur just as the pot is passing 205 or so. That's when its time to put down the beer, pick up a spoon and prepare to do battle with old Mr Foamy !!! I find that if I use a spoon to keep the foam to one side the bubbles don't "pile up" on each other.

As someone mentioned, the result is more evaporation. The reason is simply that more heat is being transferred. As you turn up the heat (going from slow to rolling boil), you are causing more heat energy to be transferred to the liquid. Because the liquid is not capable of having its temp go up, the energy results in more liquid turning into gas.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I was thinking due to the "thickness" of the wort it may get hotter. Guess not..

Back