That "Belgian beer taste"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4077girl

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about that unique taste/smell Belgian beers always seem to have. I don't know how to describe it very well, (other than utterly aversive in my opinion) maybe warm and sour? Almost toxic in my personal opinion. It really gets into my nose. It is ALWAYS there, very strong (to me), in any Belgain ale I've ever tried. I've also occasionally tasted it in other types of beer that I really didn't expect to. A quick sniff will tell me if a particular beer has "that taste." Sorry, that was a pathetic description!

From what I can tell, it has something to do with using particular types of yeast, but I'm not sure, because I'm not sure what that "taste" is.

What I really want to know is:

1) Is it something to do with the strain (is that the right word?) of yeast that is used? I've read about particular yeasts used for Belgian style beers, are those the ones responsible for this taste?

2) Is there a recognized name for that taste/smell?

I'm more of a casual beer drinker than passionate homebrewer, but we do generally have a kit going all the time and play around with different hops. I want to know more about this taste and how to get it (or in my case, avoid it) before we start customizing any further.

You identified it correctly, it's the Belgian yeast strains that are used that are what characterize Belgian beers. Combined with often warmer fermentation temperatures, the yeast throw of spicy phenols. I wasn't crazy about it at first but have come to really appreciate it in the right style. To avoid the taste, chose "clean" ale yeast strains, pitch the proper amount, don't ferment too warm, and lastly try and leave as much of the yeast behind when you keg/bottle/pour.

It's definitely the different yeast strains that they use and also the fact that Belgians use different spices/sugars when brewing (coriander / bitter orange / kandi sugar etc.)

Also, Belgians are crazy! ;)

Seems crazy to me, but most people I know like that style. I can barely convince myself to swallow it :p Another good reason to smell a beer before you drink it!

The name for that taste/smell is "phenolic". It's the main characteristic of a Belgian and what makes them taste good - or in your case, bad. It'll probably grow on you though. I hated Belgians at first but now they're my among favorite varieties.

Great, thanks Ravenshead! I'm glad to have a name for it now! I thought phenolic meant you did something wrong, but I guess in some cases it is desirable?

Maybe I'll try to ease myself into that style some day.

1) Yes, it is the yeast.

2)The technical term for those characteristics are phenols and esters. Lots of people just call it Belgian Funk.

1) Yes, it is the yeast.

2)The technical term for those characteristics are phenols and esters. Lots of people just call it Belgian Funk.

Yes, the "esters" are the fruity sweet flavors- bubblegum, bananas, peachy, etc. The phenols taste like cloves or maybe anise or wet bandaids.

These are generally desired in some beers, like Belgians, but in many cases a beer that has stressed or improperly treated yeast will exhibit these same off-flavors.

A too-high fermentation temperature can cause these flavors, even in a yeast strain that is supposed to be "clean". Also, underpitching of yeast can stress the yeast and create these flavors. Poor sanitation, leading to infection, can also cause these flavors.

Only some phenolics are desired even in Belgians. Clove, spice, anise and sometimes smoke can be good. Band-aid is not appropriate for any style and dirty diaper is even worse (yes, you can get dirty diaper notes in beer-- it's one of the downsides to being a judge).

I LOVE Belgians. High Gravity, incredibly balanced, with highly complex esthers and phenolics.

I think it is like caviar or huge red wine, it is a developed or acquired taste.

If you're used to a Pale Ale (or in wine world, a Chardonay), Belgians might just be a step too far (just like many wine drinkers don't like alcoholic zinfandels).

The good news is, there are so many fantastic beer styles, you don't have to stick with a single flavor (unless you drink BMC light).

Back