Wet tshirt cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Didnt expect this to make a huge difference but am actually thinking it might have cooled my beer even too much! Just wanted to ask, roughly how many degrees difference do you think a wet tshirt on a 19L plastic bottle would make?

Also a side question, the tiny amount of light that might get in through the neck hole of the tshirt isnt a problem right? Its in a room that doesnt get any sunlight anyway, just when someone turns on the light in the hall.

The calculation depends on ambient temps, air flow, etc.

But off hand? a LOT.

A fan on the tshirt adds significant cooling power.

Hmm... how much is a lot? Also does it matter how wet the tshirt is? I guess the temp before the tshirt was around 21*C

I've put tee shirts over my fermenters that are very damp,but not dripping wet. With a fan on them,the temp went down 2-3 degrees on average.

Even though I already posted, the thread title is so EYE CATCHING!!lol

Sorry, I guess I thought that we were talking about initial wort cooling, which would be a degree/hr type of answer.

Ambient temp plays a huge part in either case, and is nearly incalculable depending on the size of the shirt, temp of water, etc.

The REAL answer here, is that SLOW and LOW is the way to ferment. 3 degrees cooler than "ideal"?? FANTASTIC! Roll with that.

For my wet tshirt contests, i always use those bikini beach babe t shirts, call the fermenter Bridget, and wait to see how long it takes her to finish!

I am thinking I am going to have to do that here in Virginia... I have been waiting to brew but it was to cold 30s and 40s at night...

Then WHAM! Spring has sprung and it was 85 yesterday... a bit to warm than the mid 60s temprature I was waiting for...

It's because of this front sweeping across the country from west to east I saw on NBC this morning. In front of it is really warm. But behind,is snow wind & cold,like Colorado. They got a real mess,but we only got rain & house shaking thunder. But hey...I didn't call down the thunder...why am I getting the BOOM? :D

Back