Polaris hop mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djavatar

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed up an all Polaris IPA. The sample going into the keg indicates a grassy minty mess. The bitterness seems nice but at this point I would highly recommend not loading up on Polaris for late boil.

Anyone have an experience with Polaris? I saw a couple older threads but nothing solid.

5 gallon batch:
.5oz - 60 minute
1oz - 15 minute
1.25oz - 5 minute
1.25oz - 0 minute
2oz - 7 day dry hop

The dry hop probably took it over the top... Maybe it will calm down in the keg...

Polaris has 2-4x the hop oils of most varieties so I say definitely give it some time. The 'glacier candy' description has scared me away from using it cause mint beer makes me think toothpaste taste from brushing followed by a brew.

I hear ya. I'm really hoping it calms down in the keg because right now it tastes like mouthwash and fresh grass clippings. :cross:

I got a majority of the Polaris used in this batch free so I figured what the heck.

Update:

This beer really calmed down in the keg... The grassiness is gone and a light 'cool mint' flavor remains. The nose is much the same but extremely faint. The bitterness is very very nice.

I still would not recommend loading up on late hopping and/or dry hopping of Polaris. However, for bittering and judicious flavoring it could make some nice unique brews.

-Dave

I wonder if maybe you pair it up with something like Nugget if the flavor would improve... I'm thinking more towards the flavors of herb and spice...

I made an all Polaris IPA including a boatload (100g!) of 2 week dry hopping and the beer came out fantastic. My friends went nuts over it. It's definitely different that my all Cascade IPA and I would definitely combine the two (dry hopping) to give it a more American hop "stinkiness" that makes AIPAs so awesome to drink (and burp! ;)
The Polaris bitterness is indeed very smooth and due to the hop's insane amount of essential oils, it gives the beer a nice slick mouthfeel.

I absolutely agree with the chocolate mint oatmeal stout idea, I have a recipe that I'll brew in the fall. Should be fun!

I just bought five ounces from AHS. I'll probably save them and brew up the mint chocolate stout this fall...

I use Polaris in my APA's and IPA's. The first time I used it was in a single hop IPA to see what it can do. I have settled in on the following blend added at: FWH, 30, 20, 13, 7, and dry hop.

Polaris: 25%
Citra: 25%
Simcoe: 25%
Cascade: 25%

The average runs about 13-13.5 AA.
I love this combination. I recently have been having a hard time getting the Citra so I may use Falconer's Flight instead.

I love the flavor and aroma that Polaris adds to the blend. It also adds a lot of AA that allows me to get enough Cascade in the blend without getting too grassy. Cascade still has a lot to contribute. I have found that I do not need any 60 minute hop addition to achieve calculated IBU's well over 100 for DIPA's

I use Polaris in my APA's and IPA's. The first time I used it was in a single hop IPA to see what it can do. I have settled in on the following blend added at: FWH, 30, 20, 13, 7, and dry hop.

Polaris: 25%
Citra: 25%
Simcoe: 25%
Cascade: 25%

The average runs about 13-13.5 AA.
I love this combination. I recently have been having a hard time getting the Citra so I may use Falconer's Flight instead.

I love the flavor and aroma that Polaris adds to the blend. It also adds a lot of AA that allows me to get enough Cascade in the blend without getting too grassy. Cascade still has a lot to contribute. I have found that I do not need any 60 minute hop addition to achieve calculated IBU's well over 100 for DIPA's

Back