Adding coconut flakes to a cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philnick

Reaction score
Hey all,

Had an excellent coconut cream ale at a recent beer fest in Seattle. I have a great cream ale recipe and was thinking about adding coconut flakes to re-create this beer.

A couple of questions:
1. I've seen coconut porter recipes call for toasted flakes. My initial reaction is to not toast them for a cream ale as I don't think I want any additional nuttiness or roasted-type flavors. Any opinions?

2. Recipe is for a 5.5 gallon batch and I'm planning to add 7 oz of dried coconut flakes to the primary. Any opinions on the amount? Should I be concerned about sanitization?

Any tips or insight is greatly appreciated!

After reading a bit more I think I am going to:

1. Toast the flakes and put them in a paper bag to dry them out and extract as much of the oils as I can

2. Add the flakes to secondary and leave them for 2 weeks

Last year I made a coconut cream ale and it came out amazing. It is my most requested beer that I have made to date. I used two pounds of it in the secondary and it was perfect. I just toasted it in the oven, patted it with paper towels, and put it into the secondary for 3 weeks. I also used 1/4 pound in the mash and used 32oz of coconut water in the boil. It had perfect coconut aroma and flavor and was not too overpowering.

I'm getting ready to move the beer to secondary and onto the coconut flakes. I'm only going with about 8 oz of toasted flakes this go around. Don't want to have too much...

I like the idea of using coconut water in the boil. Will have to make a note of that for next time!

Last year I made a coconut cream ale and it came out amazing. It is my most requested beer that I have made to date. I used two pounds of it in the secondary and it was perfect. I just toasted it in the oven, patted it with paper towels, and put it into the secondary for 3 weeks. I also used 1/4 pound in the mash and used 32oz of coconut water in the boil. It had perfect coconut aroma and flavor and was not too overpowering.
Could you please send me the recipe or the link to yours if its already posted?

7lbs pale ale malt
.75lbs honey malt
.5lbs red wheat malt
.25lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt
.25lbs toasted coconut
Mashed for 60 min at 152*

60 min boil
.75oz cluster at 60 min
32oz coconut water at 15 min (used harmless harvest coconut water from whole foods)
.25lbs toasted coconut at 15 min
.5lb lactose at 15 min
1056 american ale yeast

2lbs toasted coconut in the secondary for 3 weeks.

They turned out great, but I let a few age about 4 or 5 months and they developed a slightly metallic taste after about 4 months, so drink them fresh.

A couple of Random questions for this old thread.

I was going to make the recipe as posted by formula2fast within the next week or so and was wondering.

1. formula2fast, have you made any changes to the recipe as posted? If not have you continued to have success with the recipe as is?
2. Has anyone else made this recipe or have a similar recipe they have enjoyed?
3. Do you use sweetened coconut such as Bakers Angel Flake Coconut or are you using unsweetened coconut such as that you can buy in the bulk foods section of your grocery store?

My wife and I had Schflay Coconut Cream Ale this past weekend and we thought it would be a great summer time brew - thus I am wanting to resurrect this post and learn from all of your experiences!

Thanks,
W

I make coconut cider and coconut wheat ale with non toasted coconut. Personally I don't think that I'd care for using toasted coconut in a non dark beer.

I've made a coconut IPA a few times. Not toasted the coconut. It's always a hit. I like the idea of a coconut cream ale. I think I'll try it.

Hi AKtom and Steveruch, just to confirm for your IPA and ciders you did not toast the coconut.... did you encounter any problems from the oil of the coconut? My assumption is the toasting is recommended to to render off that oil. Personally my goal is a super light colored ale, so I'm deviating away from toasting but worried I'm going to have an "oil and water" beer.

Hi AKtom and Steveruch, just to confirm for your IPA and ciders you did not toast the coconut.... did you encounter any problems from the oil of the coconut? My assumption is the toasting is recommended to to render off that oil. Personally my goal is a super light colored ale, so I'm deviating away from toasting but worried I'm going to have an "oil and water" beer.

I don't toast the coconut and have never had a problem. I rack the cider or wheat beer into a secondary right on the coconut. I use large cut coconut from the bulk section of the nearby Fred Meyers.

Unsweetened and no problem with oil. I gave a couple of bottles to the owner of a local brewery. He liked it.

I have not made any changes to this recipe because every time I brew it, it comes out awesome. It is a pain in the ass to brew (the coconut part at least) and expensive, but it is very worth it.

I use organic unsweetened flakes that I buy from Whole foods or Fruitful Yield (a natural/health market in the Chicagoland area) and toast them up in the oven. Then pat them dry with a paper towel to remove as much oil as possible.

Hope yours turns out amazing!

That sounds epic:rockin: , I wonder if I add a little lactose and vanilla beans and bam! Coconut Cream Pie :D

Latest posts

Back