Flavor profiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
Does any one location exist that profiles all the different tastes our beer ingredients provide? My thought being I could ultimately modify my own recipes if I knew what did what what to my beer. Does this single magical place exist?

Homebrewing supplies sites work pretty well. Usually there are descriptions of flavors for ingredients. As far as compiling all of the flavors, I'm not sure. Are you looking for a website?

Use the store descriptions and do some experimenting. Try doing some SMaSH brewing.

SMaSH brewing is one option. I was hoping someone (or many) had done this and compiled a resource to help others. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

The online version of how to brew has a description of many hop malt, and yeast characteristics. Also like the other said most online hbs have a description of the stuff

The last person I talked to at a homebrew store (I believe the owner) told me in order to make beer you need naturally pure water, and she knew of an artesian well about 2 hours away. Naturally I chuckled at this funny joke, but no she was dead serious, this is the type of first impression that will lead me to not trust people. Thanks for the tip on "How to Brew" tho, I will check that out and start SMaSH brewing I guess.

The last person I talked to at a homebrew store (I believe the owner) told me in order to make beer you need naturally pure water, and she knew of an artesian well about 2 hours away. Naturally I chuckled at this funny joke, but no she was dead serious, this is the type of first impression that will lead me to not trust people. Thanks for the tip on "How to Brew" tho, I will check that out and start SMaSH brewing I guess.

Does she know where the fountain of youth is located?

kapbrew13 said:
Does she know where the fountain of youth is located?

She may have mentioned it but I tune people out the moment I realize they are different (mentally).

The BYO site has resource guides that list basic properties of various hops, grains, and yeasts sorted by beer type (see Resource Guide tab along the top of the page). Not a replacement for actual brewing but a starting place.

chickypad said:
The BYO site has resource guides that list basic properties of various hops, grains, and yeasts sorted by beer type (see Resource Guide tab along the top of the page). Not a replacement for actual brewing but a starting place.

THat is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a ton.

Latest posts

Back