Paint strainer mesh bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Hey I am getting ready to brew my second beer. I have been doing some research and have seen some people using these http://www.lowes.com/pd_126394-968-...=1&currentURL=?Ntt=paint+strainers&facetInfo=

They are supposed to fit right into the bucket and you pour the whole wort right into fermenter and then just lift the bag out.

Has anyone used this technique and I am also assuming that I need to soak this whole bag in sanitizer before using it.

Yep. Soak the bag in sanitizer. They work great.

If you have a huge amount of hops in the boil, you might even put a strainer above the bucket and the bag inside. The only issue I've had is that if the bags get too full, they don't drain very quickly and you don't really want to be touching them with your hands etc to speed that up.

The cool part is that you can also use them to do partial boil/partial mash in the same BK you have now when you're ready to move up to it. That's what I did. Cheap & effective.

I'd boil the bag before first use. And pour slow, when your finished they can go in the wash.

I used one to pulp bananas in for a banana mead. I was going to do the same with apples this weekend until a coworker lent me her juicer.

I use nylon paint bags that i got from a local sherwin-williams store, I've never used the plastic ones before. Depending on how much break material you have in your wort it will clog the bag. I dunk my arms in a bucket of starsan after pouring the wort through and then scrunch up the top and pick a corner and kind of see saw the bag back and forth so the wort can get through the clean parts. If the bag doesnt reach the bottom of your bucket it can slip into the bucket when pouring, use a big rubber band to secure it to the top or a helper.

I used this same bag for my first partial mash last weekend. It has an elastic opening at the top. You can stretch it around the outside of your pot/cooler while you pour the grain and water, then unhook it to put the lid on. The fabric had some stiffness, so worries of it tipping over and having the grain spill out.

Back