Nottingham observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermentdean

Reaction score
My 5 gal batch with notty has been doing quite well, this is my first run with it. I live in a 58 deg brewing environment so I put on a therm wrap with and at 7 days was
winding down. The last 2 nights working late in the garage I've had tha therm wrap off and noticed a great acceleration of fermentation when it gets down to 60 deg
In the fermenter. I've read brewers have had a slowing of notty near the end of their primary not getting to a low enough SG. I'll check the SG today and see what's
happening , I've never had this happen with any of my batches.

Fermentdean said:
My 5 gal batch with notty has been doing quite well, this is my first run with it. I live in a 58 deg brewing environment so I put on a therm wrap with a

Comp. glitch Any way I spent the last 2 nights in the garage making sausage and pepperoni and as it cooled down, what I thought was batch that was close to racking
Started to take off. Tonight on day 9 almost rhino farts as the temp dropped to around 65 from 71. I've read notty slows at the end of fermentation but I found this quite interesting.

I have a batch fermenting now - I think the Notty is the cleanest smelling ferment I've had in a while. Strange that you are getting some smells as the temp drops, unless it was a sharp drop?

LBussy said:
I have a batch fermenting now - I think the Notty is the cleanest smelling ferment I've had in a while. Strange that you are getting some smells as the temp drops, unless it was a sharp drop?

No it smells very clean I was just surprised at the at the high rate of fermentation at 9 days in when I was considering racking to the secondary soon.

WilliamSlayer said:
Sounds like stressed yeast. A sharp temp change (either way) will do that.

You have a good point, it's been hard to control the spring temps here as I ferm in the garage. If I was not so cheap I'd get a temp regulator for the therm wrap.
But it smells so clean out of the air lock. + I run high abv's so my batches take longer, this ones going into a new oak barrel and will be saved for the October fest party here next fall. Thanks for the insite WS

Back