Oak Chips/Maker's Mark, Chocolate Extra Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
I am brewing a Chocolate Extra Stout this weekend that I have brewed before. It is by far the best beer I have ever brewed but I want to change it a little. I would like to add some bourbon (Makers Mark) soaked oak chips. Have any of you guys done this? Also how many oak chips should I use........4oz, 8oz, pound??????? I will be using dark oak chips and its a 5 gal batch.

OK I found some info on this and it looks like most people are using 1 or 2 oz of chips.
Thanks for any info you guys can give me

I just made a stout with makers and oak cubes! I like to soak the cubes in the makers in a mason jar while the beer is fermenting, then I pour the whiskey into a glass (for me to drink) and I add the cubes for a month or 2. For chips you should be good in a week or 2. Just taste it and you'll know when its ready! Good luck!

Oh and I use 2oz of cubes. The amount of cubes of chips you use is only really going to speed up the time it takes to get that "oak" flavor. If you have time use less, if your in a rush use more.

Back