Fermentation Chamber Build for 20 Gallon Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I brew out in my garage, and since I live in Ohio, we have pretty dramatic temperature swings. I needed to build something so I could ferment in my conical out in the garage. Originally I was going to purchase an upright freezer and stick the conical in it, but I couldn't find a freezer that it fit in. I am using a Stout Tanks & Kettles 20 Gallon Conical. They state on their website that it will fit in a Frigidaire freezer.....but not without having to cut out the door panel. Still it was a super tight fight...much tighter than I wanted. I also needed to find a way to heat it as well. So I decided to build my own chamber. This is what I came up with:

My dimensions are 4'L X 3'6"W X 4'H. The fridge I use to cool it sits on a platform off to side and isn't included in those dimensions.

First off I built a floor. I used 2x4's and insulated the joists with R-13 insulation. I covered with 3/8" Plywood. If I were to do it over again, I'd go 1/2" on the floor. I ended up cutting some plates from 2X6's to reinforce the floor where the conical sits.

First pic of the floor with the 2x4 walls up:
IMG_1477_zpseee3a037.jpg

Here is a pic of the fridge in place:
IMG_1479_zpsc1a70e82.jpg

Now with wall insulation: (More R-13)
IMG_1482_zps476a9c20.jpg

After the wall insulation, I covered the walls in 1/2 rigid foam insulation: ***EDIT I also added 2" rigid insulation to the walls***
IMG_1484_zps89c1e3bd.jpg

Now the door. I used 2 layers of 1.5" rigid foam insulation on that:
IMG_1488_zps27c11f00.jpg

The moment of truth.....let's see if the conical fits!
IMG_1492_zps2f33c8a6.jpg

Success!! I have about 2" of clearence above the blowoff hose:
IMG_1493_zpsc03c101c.jpg

This is a parts list for the build:

16 - 2x4 x 8' Studs
3 - 4x8 Sheets 3/8" Sanded Plywood
1 - 4x8 Sheet 1/2" OSB (for underneath chamber)
3 - 4x8 Sheets 1/2" Rigid Foam Insulation
1 - 4x8 Sheet 1 1/2" Rigid Foam Insulation (for the door)
1 - 4x8 Sheet 2" Rigid Foam Insulation ***Add on after build was complete for better performance***
2 - Rolls R13 Insulation (for floor and inside walls)
1- 1lb 1 5/8" Primeguard Screws
1 - 1lb 2 1/2" Primeguard Screws
5 - Tubes Loctite PL Premium Adhesive
3 - Tubes DAP White Silicone
2 - 3 1/2" Hinges
2 - 4" Heavy Duty Barrel Bolts
1 - Handle for door
1 - 4" Desk Fan
1 - Control Products TC-9102D Dual Stage Temperature Controller

I already had the mini fridge and the space heater and wire, but those should be added into the parts list as well. I got everything at Home Depot expect the 4" desk fan which I picked up at Walmart and the temperature controller I ordered off of Amazon.

As promised some more pics.

I did end up adding some more insulation to the chamber. It held temperature good, but I felt with more insulation it would be even more efficient. I purchased a 2" 4x8 sheet of insulation and cover the walls with that. I also had a half a sheet of the 1/2" insulation left and I used that on the ceiling.

Now there is 2 1/2" of insulation on the walls and 1" on the ceiling.

I apologize for the crappy pics, but it's all I have right now:

This shows the added insulation
IMG_1520_zpsf9df61df.jpg

To help circulate the cold air, I wired in a small desk fan to turn on when the fridge kicks on: Works like a charm!
IMG_1516_zps041bcc3b.jpg

This one is the mounted temperature controller:
IMG_1515_zpse55b6864.jpg

Man great build! Please post cost, etc. I have this same conical. I'm actually considering tunring a small unused bedroom in my house into a cold room, but would much rather build this chamber.

Very nice, I hope that fridge can handle the extra cubic feet of cooling.

Me too! I haven't tested the limits yet, but I got down to 55 no problem. I am really hoping I'll be able to lager in the chamber as well. I think the fan is going to help alot.

Man great build! Please post cost, etc. I have this same conical. I'm actually considering tunring a small unused bedroom in my house into a cold room, but would much rather build this chamber.

Thank you!

I am going to edit my original post with a parts list.

It would be pretty awesome to see a cold room build thread! How were you planning on regulating temperatures in there?

I realize this thread is a few years old but just curious how well it worked? I have been thinking of doing something similar but not worth the money and effort if i cant get down to lager temps.

I would be interested in the performance as well. I will be starting my build for this soon. Was planning to insulate the same way.

Mine sits in a Craigslist upright freezer that has a controller on it. Not nearly as imaginative as building one, but a hell of a lot cheaper, better insulated and quicker.

Back