Stone Enjoy By Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holter

Reaction score
I had this beer on draft at a beer festival recently and it kind of blew my mind. Stone shared a bit of information on their blog about the beer so i decided to put together an attempted clone of it, which i will brew next weekend. Unfortunately it uses just about every fancy hard to find hop out there, so this beer better be damn good!

I had to make a lot of guesses when putting this thing together. The hop timings offered are vague, so i went with a typical late hopping schedule. The quantities of each hop arent given, so i went with consistent numbers for each type. I do no have hop extract for bitterness, so I plugged in Magnum for bittering instead. Dry hopping lists Primary Vs. Secondary just to differentiate the two additions. I will have a 20 minute hot whirlpool, which along with the fact that the Calypso hops arent being calculated in the overall IBUs will boost the beers actual IBUs. Calculated IBU's always seem too high compared to perceived bitterness.

Grain bill is 100% based on what I tasted at the festival.

I am looking for any input from others who have tasted this beer.

Here is the output from Beer Tools Pro:

Enjoy By 9.21.12
14-C Imperial IPA
Author: Holter
Date: 9/16/12

Size: 12.0*gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 88.0%
Calories: 265.55*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.081 (1.075 - 1.090)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.010 - 1.020)
|=======#========================|
Color: 8.17 (8.0 - 15.0)
|========#=======================|
Alcohol: 9.4% (7.5% - 10.0%)
|====================#===========|
Bitterness: 73.4 (60.0 - 120.0)
|===========#====================|

Ingredients:
25.3*lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
3.0*lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
3.0*lb Munich 10L Malt
1.5*lb Crystal 15
2.0*oz Calypso (15.1%) - added during mash
1.6*oz Magnum (12.8%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m
2.0*oz Simcoe® (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
2.0*oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
2.0*oz Delta (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
2.0*oz Target (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m
3.0*oz Motueka (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
3.0*oz Citra™ (13.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
3.0*oz Cascade (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter
3.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to primary fermenter
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
3.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
4.0*ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Schedule:

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 11.61*gal; Strike: 164.15*°F; Target: 151.0*°F
01:03:00 Sacc Rest - Rest: 60.0*m; Final: 151.0*°F
01:23:00 Sparge - Sparge Volume: 14.9*gal; Sparge Temperature: 168.0*°F; Runoff: 14.23*gal

Notes
Based off of Stone's Enjoy By.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.21

Well, I think you're on the right track. I know Stone typically only has two hop additions, one at 90 for bittering and one big whirlpool. It's tough to adjust a big commercial whirlpool recipe to a homebrew system, where our cooling/whirlpooling is going to be way different. One thing to note is that Stone's house yeast is WLP007. I'd try to grab that if you can.

Cheers!

how'd this turn out? I'd interested i knowing how the Galaxy worked, mostly. Did you really use 2 POUNDS of hops in a 12 gallon batch? That's righteous!!!

I just set the fridge to cold crash tonight, so i should have it on tap in a few days. I really did use the hop bill listed above. My dry hop schedule was two addition, 7 days each. I added the first dry hop in the primary (conical) then transferred over to secondary for the second dry hop. I ended up sticking with WLP-001. I also changed up my mash schedule a bit to have a rest at 146 and 154. My fermentation ended at 1.014 unfortunately, so we will see how it tastes.

Ive never used them before, i just read on the stone blog that they were used. From what i read they are a cross between Fuggles and Cascade.

How did this turn out for you? I'm drinking a 12-21 right now and I would say on paper you made a great stab in the dark at the recipe. The only thing I'm not getting out of the grist that you mentioned is any Munich. Curious on your tasting notes from your clone! cheers

Ill tell you what, its definitely not close to cloned - the hops need to be dialed back a lot. I just got my hands on a 12.21.12 as well and will probably do a side by side in the next week. Once i do that I will post a revised recipe. The first recipe was an attempt at keeping all of the hops kind of equal across the board, but there is something in there that is TOO dank. The hops in Enjoy By are lighter and almost sweeter than what my beer turned out to be.

But i will say its a fine IIPA.

Without tasting side by side this is what i would change. No change to the malts. Hops:

1.0*oz Calypso (15.1%) - added during mash (1 OZ LESS)
1.6*oz Magnum (12.8%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m (NO CHANGE)
2.0*oz Simcoe® (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (NO CHANGE)
2.0*oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (NO CHANGE)
.5*oz Delta (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (1.5 OZ LESS)
.5*oz Target (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (1.5 OZ LESS)
1.0*oz Motueka (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Citra™ (13.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Cascade (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to primary fermenter (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter(2 OZ LESS)

So thats a total of 12oz fewer hops. I dont know enough about several of the hops (calypso, motueka, target and delta) so i decreased those a lot. I know Amarillo, Simcoe and Nelson are going to give that light, sweet hop aroma and flavor so i left those as is. I think the aroma for Enjoy By is mostly the Nelson mixed with other background hops, so i changed the ratio of dry hops to emphasize the Nelsons.

Ill post again once i do a side by side.

Sounds great. Ya the nose is mostly Nelson and galaxy, I read on their website they used 2lbs/bbl of each for the dry hop, so u should be able to scale that exactly. Motueka has a tropical profile, most similar to galaxy but a little less fruity. Calypso has a strong lemon flavor and delta and target have a earthy European flavor and aroma.

Well, I think you're on the right track. I know Stone typically only has two hop additions, one at 90 for bittering and one big whirlpool. It's tough to adjust a big commercial whirlpool recipe to a homebrew system, where our cooling/whirlpooling is going to be way different. One thing to note is that Stone's house yeast is WLP007. I'd try to grab that if you can.

Cheers!

Nope, Stone's house yeast is proprietary (although as with every single brewery in San Diego, the yeast lab that maintains their banks is White Labs).

The actual number for Stone's strain is WLP5036 (which you can't buy), but some people have suspected that WLP090 is the same yeast. White Labs for their part has denied that WLP090 is any particular brewery's strain, but the description of Stone's house yeast is very, very similar to that used to describe WLP090.

HHduz.jpg

Nope, Stone's house yeast is proprietary (although as with every single brewery in San Diego, the yeast lab that maintains their banks is White Labs).

The actual number for Stone's strain is WLP5036 (which you can't buy), but some people have suspected that WLP090 is the same yeast. White Labs for their part has denied that WLP090 is any particular brewery's strain, but the description of Stone's house yeast is very, very similar to that used to describe WLP090.

HHduz.jpg

Awesome! The go to for stone clones has always been (or so I've experienced) WLP007 but that never made much sense to me- why would stone work with White to develop a proprietary yeast strain just for their brewery and then have WL sell it to every homebrewer on the planet?

That WLP090 might be Stone's strain sort of lines up- it's probably a very clean british strain (high flocculation/oxygen requirements, finicky with temperatures) lines up with the common notion that Stone's yeast comes from an old british line, but I still think it's probably its own thing. White has said before it's not from any San Diego brewery and while it might be related to 5036, I don't think White Labs is lying flat out about WLP090.

Thanks for the info- where'd you find that out?

Do we have any updates on this? I am sipping a 4.01.13 and it is freakin awesome.

I also recently brewed an IPA with a heavy Nelson/Galaxy dry-hop and it had some similarities, but this is way less fruity and more resinous/dank, so I am guessing the flavor hops are pretty important. Would love anymore insight on the recipe process.

No real update. That recipe is pretty darned close to the flavor profile for Enjoy By, but its not a clone. After my side by side tasting I think you would be able to scale back the flavor hops 10-20% and you might get closer. My beer was a little bit too intense on the hop flavors where the Enjoy By is a smooth hop flavor (at least for my palate). I would say the most important thing would be to get your beer to finish at around 1.010 using my recipe as a starter and you'll have yourself an amazing IIPA.

Mitch sent me a message via google+ and the grain bill is a 50/50 blend of american and english pale ale malt. No crystal malts at all.

enjoyby.PNG

Stone uses San Diego Super Yeast? Well, they are (sort of) in San Diego ...

No, but it's likely their proprietary strain has similar characteristics. High flocculation/oxygen requirement, low ester british strain with high alcohol tolerance and high attenuation. Until WLP090 came out, WLP007 was the go-to strain for Stone clones, but Stone's actual yeast isn't available to the public.

Ya, I'm getting ready to brew this in a couple weeks. Mitch said the grist is a mix of american/english 2 row, and some dextrose. I would love to know what the FG of the beer is, but we didn't get any of the 04/01/13 batch. I'm assuming it's roughly 1.010.

From that point, this beer shouldn't be too hard to clone, they give us all the other info. Mitch confirmed the late kettle and whirlpool additions a little over 1lb/bbl (3.25-3.5oz). The dry hop is 1lb/bbl of Nelson, and 1lb/bbl of Galaxy. I'm comfortable working with WLP007, so attenuation shouldn't be an issue.

Any final or recent updates on the recipe for Enjoy By IPA?

This is my favorite IPA and I'd like to try a batch...

Digging this one back up. So, I'll try to keep this story short, despite my extreme excitement. I went ahead and brewed what I proposed here, only I listened to Mitch's advice: 50/50 American/English 2-row (8.25lbs each) with some Dextrose (I settled on 1lb).

1.082OG down to 1.012FG. It didn't quite attenuation to where I wanted (1.010), but pretty close. It's been in the keg for 3 days at this point. Not quite fully carbonated yet, but pretty clear, and pretty tasty. Today, Enjoy By 05.17.13 hit town, and I picked up a couple bottles. I couldn't resist the temptation to compare them immediately, so.....

This is it. I'll spare your all the similarities, and get the differences.

Mine isn't quite fully carbonated. Their's comes across slightly boozier. Both beers have an English yeast character, but they are slightly different. I'm splitting hairs though, this is 100% cloned for all intensive purposes. Both have that massive fruity hoppy aroma that comes across as slightly dank. big hop flavor, with little malt, and moderate bitterness.

I'll post it up on my blog once it's fully carbed, and I can crack open a fresh bottle to compare.

Massive Kudos to Stone for the awesome recipe, and for being forthcoming with the recipe. Also, Kudos to Mitch Steele for responding to emails, and helping home brewers. This dude is a brewmaster for a top-10 (in terms of volume), craft brewery in the U.S., and he takes the time to respond to homebrewers' emails. That's awesome.

It's cloned. Brew it. It's amazing.

photo.jpg

Thanks for getting back to this thread. So the recipe you used is the one you just posted a link to?

Subscribed just so I can find this easier. Scottland, would you be willing to post your final recipe in the recipe database?

1.0*oz Calypso (15.1%) - added during mash (1 OZ LESS)
1.6*oz Magnum (12.8%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m (NO CHANGE)
2.0*oz Simcoe® (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (NO CHANGE)
2.0*oz Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (NO CHANGE)
.5*oz Delta (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (1.5 OZ LESS)
.5*oz Target (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0*m (1.5 OZ LESS)
1.0*oz Motueka (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Citra™ (13.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Cascade (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0*m (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to primary fermenter (2 OZ LESS)
3.0*oz Nelson Sauvin (10.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter (NO CHANGE)
1.0*oz Galaxy (13.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter(2 OZ LESS)

I think there is a considerable amount of 15-5 minute late boil additions as well as a strong hopstand/warm aroma steep, and obviously a nice dryhop. -- 94% American 2-row pale and 6% corn sugar. Monster 007 Starter at 66 F. I may even go with WLP090 because I personally like it a bit more.

For a 5.5 gal batch:

1.75 oz Calypso - added @ 90 minute mash hop
25 IBUs Super Galena Hop Extract - added to full rolling boil @ 90 minutes
1.50 oz Target - @ 15 minutes
1.50 oz Delta - @ 10 minutes
1.50 oz Amarillo - @ 10 minutes
1.50 oz Simcoe - @ 5 minutes
1.75 oz Motueka - @ warm whirlpool hopstand (160 F or lower)
1.75 oz Citra - @ warm whirlpool hopstand (160 F or lower)
1.50 oz Cascade - @ warm whirlpool hopstand (160 F or lower)
1.25 oz Nelson Sauvin - 5 day dryhop in primary
1.25 oz Galaxy - 5 day dryhop in primary
1.25 oz Nelson Sauvin - 5 day dryhop in secondary
1.25 oz Galaxy - 5 day dryhop in secondary

It might even be more simple than this, as scott suggests, e.g. MH/90/15/WP/DH

I'm confused.... Stone states in the Craft of Stone Brewing Co that they use on some beers only a 10min or 20min sacc rest?!?!?! WTH is up with that and how do you get your gravity from only 10-20min?

It's possible they do a long rest at 140-145 for beta-amalyse, then a short 10-20min saccrification rest at 155-160. I could be wrong though. Do you have a link to the article? That would be an interesting read.

I'm confused.... Stone states in the Craft of Stone Brewing Co that they use on some beers only a 10min or 20min sacc rest?!?!?! WTH is up with that and how do you get your gravity from only 10-20min?

the only beer I know of that uses the 10min sacc rest is levitation. I think this is simply to keep a lot of body in a low abv beer.

To whoever has Mitchell Steele's email, can you ask for a recipe for the 16 year anniversary IPA. The lemon/rye one? I loved it and would like to recreate it.

Just email their general email address. Mitch was the one that responded to recipe questions.

16th was Rye, light Munich, dark Munich, and Vienna.

Hops were Magnum for bittering. Delta and Target in the whirlpool. Calypso and Amarillo in the dry hop.

Knowing Stone's beers, I'd guess 1-2oz @ 90, 4oz @90, 6oz dry hopped.

Stated:
Stone Pale Ale hold mash at 156 for 20min.
Stone Smoked Porter hold mash at 157 for 10min
Levitation 157 for 10min
There are no other rests listed, just mash out.
A couple of the Anniversary beers are 30min and the a few of the bigger beers are 90min.

All are right out of the book from them for the home brewer.

Tried a clone based on this link info:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/stone-enjoy-by-ipa/

What I have is currently bottled and tastes VERY close IMO yet still very young....

Brewed on April 5th
Secondary on April 17th
Bottled on May 4th

5 Gallon Batch

30min Grain Steep @ 155
US 2-Row 1Lb. Mashed/Steeped
Light Liquid Extract 9Lb. 14oz. @ 10min to flame out
Light Dried Malt Extract 3Lb. @ 10min to flame out

1oz Calypso in Mash 30 Min @155
0.5oz Galena 11% @60min
0.4oz Amarillo 8.7% @ 20min
0.4oz Delta 6.5% @20 min
0.3oz Target 9.5% @20min
0.3oz Simcoe 13% @20min
0.5oz Citra 14.1% @ Turn off
0.5oz Cascade 8% @ Turn off
0.5% Montueka 7% @ Turn off
1oz Galena 11% Dry Hop
1oz Nelson Sauvin 12.4 Dry Hop

Total IBU's per Beer Alchemy come at 92.7
OG: 1.102
FG: 1.028
ABV: 10%

All hops at turn off stirred for about 10-20min whirlpool before submerging wort chiller. Substituted Galaxy in dry hopping with Galena. I'm very happy with the results thus far....but waiting for the carb punch. I was impatient with bottling due to an upcoming Beer Cup and have had inconsistent carbs on some IIPA's so I wanted to give it time to fizz. I hear Stone makes it quick anyways ;P I'll repost when it's up to snuff. Critiques welcome!

Scott, can I ask you the reason for using hop extract? I really want to brew this recipe from your blog, and I already picked up all the hops (couldn't believe I found some of those still on the shelf). I just couldn't justify spending $22 for 10ml of hop extract when an oz of Apollo is just over $1. What is the advantage of using the extract versus just putting the right amount of Apollo in @ 90 minutes to get you the proper IBUs?

Latest posts

Back