Yeast pitching temperature and OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked my second batch to the primary. It is a EPA extract kit and I used Wyeast 1056. The information sheet said that the OG should be 1.045 . When I checked it before pitching it was 1.048. My first batch(amber ale) was high by .020 and I figured it was due to #1 not filling my fermenter all the way to the 5gal line and #2 not giving the wort a good stir before checking the OG. I corrected all those things with this brew but I am still off. Is that close enough or is it possible I am doing something wrong when I am brewing?

Also I pitched my yeast at about 64 degrees. Am I going to have any issues with that? I haven't noticed any airlock action and its been about 36 hours now.

A gravity difference of 0.003 is negligible and close enough. Don't sweat it.

And 64 is fine for yeast. Don't judge off airlock activity alone. Sometimes the yeast can take up to 48 hours to really take off.

Is this a bucket or Carboy? You should see other signs that fermentation has begun (a small krausen forming). Crack the lid on that bucket and take a momentary peek inside if you're brave enough.

mrrshotshot said:
A gravity difference of 0.003 is negligible and close enough. Don't sweat it.

And 64 is fine for yeast. Don't judge off airlock activity alone. Sometimes the yeast can take up to 48 hours to really take off.

Is this a bucket or Carboy? You should see other signs that fermentation has begun (a small krausen forming). Crack the lid on that bucket and take a momentary peek inside if you're brave enough.

It is a bucket. I really do want to crack it open but I'm resisting! I will give it a few more days and then open if I feel I meet to. What other clues can I look for? I remember somebody mentioning holding a flashlight to the bucket but, don't remember why.

It is a bucket. I really do want to crack it open but I'm resisting! I will give it a few more days and then open if I feel I meet to. What other clues can I look for? I remember somebody mentioning holding a flashlight to the bucket but, don't remember why.

The krausen is your big clue. Opening it for a second isn't really going to risk contamination. I say if you see no action after 48 hours give it a quick peek.

Don't worry--beer is robust. If it's fermenting, opening the bucket won't matter much. Done it many times w/o problem.

Does EPA stand for English Pale Ale? If so, why the Chico yeast? No big deal, but if you want English, use an English yeast--I agree with the BN guys that yeast is 80% of a finished beer :)

If it's not English... please disregard :)

I decided to take a look and see what happening in my fermenter. Looks pretty healthy to me.

image-2289505368.jpg

Glad it's moving along. It's best to resist the temptation to open the lid since that lessens your protective layer of CO2 for a while and can introduce contamination.

BTW- nothing wrong with pitching at 64*F. In fact, that's pretty darn ideal for an ale. Ferment it at that temp too (measured on the bucket) and you'll be fine.

Nothing wrong with your OG being a bit high either.

Back