Black IPA help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwedbrew

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed up a Black IPA, it was in the primary for 2 weeks then dry hopped with 1oz each of cascade and citra, then kegged. I pulled a sample from the keg after a few days and it tasted great, awesome balance of hop bitterness and malt flavor and a great aroma from the dry hops. So after waiting another week for it to force carb (13lbs at 40 degrees) I tried a sample an it has lost all of its hop aroma and flavor and is now dominated with an intense chocolate coffee flavor. So my question is, would keg hopping this beer help at all?

Here is the recipe:

1lb carafe special III
12oz Crystal 60L
12oz Chocolate Malt

3lbs Amber Dry Extract
3.3 lbs amber Liquid Extract
8oz Molassas

1.5oz Cascades
1.5oz Citra

Dry hops
1oz Cascade
1oz Citra

Steep grains at 165, boiled 60minutes adding the hops in .25oz increments every 7 minutes.

+1 to more hops. Much much more. Don't be afraid of them. Also, my black IPA recipe

13.5lbs 2row
1.25lbs crystal 80
12 oz carafa III
8oz chocolate

First wort hop
1oz Amarillo
1oz mosaic

1 oz Magnum 60min
1oz Amarillo 20min
0.5oz Mosaic 20 min
0.5oz Nelson Sauvin 5min
0.5oz each if Amarillo, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin at flame out and sit in whirlpool for 10 min

And this is still light in hops in my opinion.

Lol and we still never answered the question.

I'd assume it would but I've never tried it.

Yep, drop the chocolate. The carafa special III will give you the black color without giving you the flavor that the chocolate malt will so if you dropped that, I think the hops will come through more.

Thanks for the advice on the recipe, I will definitely drop the chocolate down next time. Should I get rid of it all together or just reduce it to 8oz?

I think I'm gonna try and throw a couple oz of hops into the keg an see what happens, I suppose it can't hurt.

Thanks for the advice on the recipe, I will definitely drop the chocolate down next time. Should I get rid of it all together or just reduce it to 8oz?

I think I'm gonna try and throw a couple oz of hops into the keg an see what happens, I suppose it can't hurt.

If it were my brew I might reduce the chocolate malt to between 2 and 4 ounces. You might want a hint of that flavor, just not the overpowering amount that you had.

To answer your question. Yes dry hop in the keg. Just make sure that you put them in a bag so they dont clog the keg.
This will give you more aroma.

I too made a black IPA recently and after week in the keg, lost all of my citra dry hop flavors. They are still there, just not intense. I will most certainly be dry hoping in the keg next time, in a bag obviously.

Don't know what your kegging practices are, but if you're blowing off CO2 from your PRV, you're scrubbing the aroma from your beer. I think this has been a problem of mine for quite some time, because we force carb at nearly double the pressure, shake, let sit for a day, then bleed all the pressure off, then reset to serving pressure. Just throwing out ideas.

Keg hopping works, it just seems like a solution to a problem that can be solved by better practices before kegging.

Thanks guys, I made it for a baseball game we will be tailgating at next weekend, I intend to keg dry hop it this weekend, and have modified the recipe to get it right the next time. Thanks for all of the advice, luckily the beer is still good.

Thanks

Back