edgestar co2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jer822

Reaction score
so i just hooked up my co2 conversion fo the edgestar tbc50s mini kegerator and the co2 cartridge leakes as soon as its pierced. i dont think i did anything wrong according to the vid on youtube and the manual. anyone have any ideas?

I hooked up my conversion kit last night and the same problem happened to me. I went though all 3 cartridges. I hope someone knows the issue.

I don't know the setup you are talking about, but how big are the cartridges? And are you certain that it is leaking OUT of the system, or might it just be the sound of the CO2 entering the beer?

My first guess (without knowing the system or anything about your knowledge) is that the co2 is going into the beer. Maybe the system was designed to naturally carb and use the cartridges just to dispense? Good luck.

they are 16 gr mini cylinders...kinda like for paintball minus the oil in the cylinder

Having the same issue. I called the company and they first sent out a new piece that pierces the co2 cartridge. Had the same problem. I called again and they sent me a new cartridge holder with another piercer piece. I just installed it. The cartridge didn't leak out but my pressure gauge stays on 2. This is with it turned all the way off. I'll give it a day and see if it leaks out again. Think there is a issue with the regulator itself.

Update on my Kegerator.

Got new parts and it still leaks. I called edgestar again to tell them something was wrong and I was told that it was user error and got hung up on. I called again and talked to a different guy ,with a little less attitude, and he told me that I was turning the CO2 cartridge too far. I tried again with a new cartridge and had the same result. Both guys said they hadn't heard of any problems with these. Guess they don't read their reviews too much.

I have had the same unit for approx two months. Having gone through about 6 cartridges thus far, I have not had that problem, however I have had to tighten the cartridge holder very tightly to prevent leakage; over-tightening has not yet been a proglem. My problem rests at the quick connect next to the keg which leaks; I haven't been able to fix that one yet.

jbrew10 said:
I have had the same unit for approx two months. Having gone through about 6 cartridges thus far, I have not had that problem, however I have had to tighten the cartridge holder very tightly to prevent leakage; over-tightening has not yet been a proglem. My problem rests at the quick connect next to the keg which leaks; I haven't been able to fix that one yet.

Well hope this help, my problem was my mistake, the center stem that goes into the keg was loose, once I twisted it tight, no more leaks.

I have mine leaking co2 somewhere, I dont hear any leaks, but the co2 is empty a day later.

Mine seems to all come out of the back of the regulator. There is a little round black plastic piece. I can put my finger over that hole and it will stop. Really sucks and edgestar is worthless.

The best way to solve this is to get a paint ball gun tank. They're $20-$25 and only cost about $2-$3 to refill. You can screw it right to the regulator and have a tight seal. The piercing needle is cheap... Just get rid of it

I got an email from edgestar telling me not to screw the co2 too tight. Really, are they kidding? It is a known fact that the co2 leaks if it is not screwed in tight. They also said if the co2 is too tight, it will leak. That has to be the stupidest response I have heard yet. They need to get their products to do what they were designed to do and not give ridicules bad advice.

pbell79 said:
Mine seems to all come out of the back of the regulator. There is a little round black plastic piece. I can put my finger over that hole and it will stop. Really sucks and edgestar is worthless.

Pbell79, I checked out my regulator and looked at the round black plastic piece. It appears to be able to screw in or out. Have you tried tightening it with an Allen wrench? There must be a rubber casket in there that must be closed tight, check it out and make sure it's not split or damage. let me know how it goes.

elgee said:
I have mine leaking co2 somewhere, I dont hear any leaks, but the co2 is empty a day later.

Make sure the center tap plastic rod that goes into the beer keg is tight, just a little loose will cause it to leak slowly.

elgee said:

Another tip, if you turn off your regulator after you put in a new cartridge pressurize the system with a full keg. Then turn it off and check 24 hours later. If the system is still pressurized, the problem is in your regulator area.

If the system is not pressurized after 24 hrs, check the center stem and make it tight, check quick connects are tight and the connector to the regulator.

If the system is not pressurized, take off the bottom container that holds the co2 cartridge. Hand Tighten but don't over-tighten, thenscrew to the regulator, and retry the same process pressurize check again. If still not working, their is a black plastic screw in back of the regulator, it can be tighten by an Allen wrench (never did this just an idea).

Redo the pressurize check, if still not working. Unscrew the round black screw and inspect the washer assuming there would be one. If damaged, replace and retry.

Hope this help, I just love mine. It works great!!

ThirdRail said:
Another tip, if you turn off your regulator after you put in a new cartridge pressurize the system with a full keg. Then turn it off and check 24 hours later. If the system is still pressurized, the problem is in your regulator area.

If the system is not pressurized after 24 hrs, check the center stem and make it tight, check quick connects are tight and the connector to the regulator.

If the system is not pressurized, take off the bottom container that holds the co2 cartridge. Hand Tighten but don't over-tighten, thenscrew to the regulator, and retry the same process pressurize check again. If still not working, their is a black plastic screw in back of the regulator, it can be tighten by an Allen wrench (never did this just an idea).

Redo the pressurize check, if still not working. Unscrew the round black screw and inspect the washer assuming there would be one. If damaged, replace and retry.

Hope this help, I just love mine. It works great!!

I made a mistake previous post "If the system is not pressurized, take off the bottom container that holds the co2 cartridge. "

it should have read "If the system is pressurized, take off the bottom container that holds the co2 cartridge."

pbell79 said:
Having the same issue. I called the company and they first sent out a new piece that pierces the co2 cartridge. Had the same problem. I called again and they sent me a new cartridge holder with another piercer piece. I just installed it. The cartridge didn't leak out but my pressure gauge stays on 2. This is with it turned all the way off. I'll give it a day and see if it leaks out again. Think there is a issue with the regulator itself.

Here a tip for you, I don't turn my regulator on until it goes below .5, sometimes I can go for over a week without turning it on. The reason is your mini keg is naturally pressurized. I've even had to release pressure by pulling off the quick connect to remove pressure with the regulator off. So what you are experiencing doesn't sound like there is a problem with your edgestar.

Let me know how that works.

ThirdRail said:
Here a tip for you, I don't turn my regulator on until it goes below .5, sometimes I can go for over a week without turning it on. The reason is your mini keg is naturally pressurized. I've even had to release pressure by pulling off the quick connect to remove pressure with the regulator off. So what you are experiencing doesn't sound like there is a problem with your edgestar.

Let me know how that works.

One more thing on pressure going up even with the regulator off. I put my mini keg in at 36°, it warms up to about 44 to 50° this will release more pressure and cause the pressure to go up naturally even when you are not adding co2. So you may have to blow off some pressure to get to normal.

Another problem I have is when I put in a fresh co2 cartridge, with the regulator turned off, once the cartridge is out in, the level rises to 10 psi with the regulator still off. Not sure what's going on there?

elgee said:
Another problem I have is when I put in a fresh co2 cartridge, with the regulator turned off, once the cartridge is out in, the level rises to 10 psi with the regulator still off. Not sure what's going on there?

Need more info. A new filled keg will rise with the regulator off, as the keg gets warmer the pressure will increase naturally. So I don't have enough info to know what is going on. I keep the regulator off for up to a week with a new keg and still have to blow off the pressure sometimes to get it to a normal state.

If you had an empty keg with no pressure, then change the co2 with the pressure off, see if the pressure goes up, if it does, then I would think its a problem with the regulator. If not, you don't have a problem.

Anyways thought that might help.

Edgestar finally admitted that my regulator was hosed and sent me a new one. The new one works as it is supposed to. I just get the slow leak that everyone else experiences now instead of the whole cartridge blowing out in 5 seconds. I soap tested all the connections with no luck. Gonna try some plumbers tape on all the seals to see if that helps.

They just sent me a whole new unit, I'm not optimistic that it will be any different.

It's not. I still drain a cartridge every time I want a few beers. Hope your luck is better.

pbell79 said:
It's not. I still drain a cartridge every time I want a few beers. Hope your luck is better.

On this thread I put a diagnostic of where the leak is occurring. If you got another regulator I would be very doubtful if that is also defective. Just for ****s and grins assume you did something wrong, you can identify where the leaks are occurring, did you do that? Did you tighten the center stem that goes into the beer? Did you pressurized the system and the turn off the valve and wait 24 hours later and see if it still pressurized? If it is not showing pressure then regulator is fine and it is in your connections. Is you mini-keg primed before you inserted your keg? Sometimes I don't even turn on the co2 as the naturally prime keg stays over a week without me turning on the pressure. That's why I don't think it's your regulator.

I would go thru a few cartridges per keg. I checked every connection, made sure the stem was tight and still had a slow leak even with co2 off. Haven't tried the new replacement unit yet.

Yeah I've done all that. The old regulator would blow the whole cartridge right out of the back of it. Apparently there is a problem with that style. The new one I got is a different connection type. I put a new cartridge in the new one and never turned the regulator on. The next day the cartridge was empty. I tried soap testing every spot with no luck. I even used that plumbers tape.

pbell79 said:
Yeah I've done all that. The old regulator would blow the whole cartridge right out of the back of it. Apparently there is a problem with that style. The new one I got is a different connection type. I put a new cartridge in the new one and never turned the regulator on. The next day the cartridge was empty. I tried soap testing every spot with no luck. I even used that plumbers tape.

I have idea, you said you have the pressure off and come back the next day and its empty. Remove the connections, then take out the regulator close the valve put the cartridge in, now submerge the whole unit in water. If it leaks you will see it and where it is coming from. What do you think?

As an update to my last comment, I received the new kit and after leaving the pressure between 4 and 10 for 4 days, I have not lost pressure or had to change a cartridge yet, so this is good news.

My POS system still leaks and I can't deal with edgestar anymore. I'm gonna chalk it up as I got screwed over. Is there anyway to add a different CO2 setup to this Kegerator system? I'd love to still use this system if possible.

Did they replace it for you? Mine was replaced and now it works without co2 leaks.

No. I sent one last attempt email today and got Jason. He is the rudest one there as I've dealt with him several times. He told me that they won't help until I can find the leak. If I could do that I would have it fixed by now. Got to looking online and their company has a very negative customer service history. Glad you got yours fixed.

Back