Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeimBrew

Reaction score
So I brewed what would be classified as a Strong Scotch ale yesterday and made a 1 L starter using Nottingham. I use a 6 gallon better bottle with a rubber stopper and a blow off tube. When I woke up this morning I had nice active fermentation going. When I got home from work this afternoon I noticed the stopper blew off and the bottom of my rubbermaid tub was covered in what would have been some delicious beer. There was a little Krausen on the wall but most was stopped by the lid. I sprayed the stopper with star san, sprayed some star san down the blow off tube and reinserted.

Since I've been home this thing has blown 3 times. Fermentation is going wild. I have constant bubbling in my bowl from the blow off tube. I sprayed down some Aluminum Foil and cover the opening and left the opening slightly cracked. I have krausen pouring out the top.

should I just leave it like this until I can put the stopper back in with out it blowing or should I keep putting the stopper back in? I am getting a little worried about infection. Unless you guys have any suggestions I'm just going to crack a cold one and check on it in the morning.

I think positive pressure and CO2 will keep the bad bugs out until this calms down. If you're nervous you can set up a blow off tube. If you don't have any laying around, you can cut a bit of plastic racking cane, sanitize it, put that in the bung and attach a piece of sanitized siphon hose to it. Stick the blow off end in a bucket of water. It's like a giant airlock that can absorb krausen.

The six gallon BB is really not giving you enough had space and the small dieter tube in the stopper is not wide enough.

There is so much CO 2 blowing out nothing is getting in so don't worry

Try and find a large enough diameter tube that just squeezes into the neck and forget the stopper. Sorry, don't know the size, I think glass carboys use 1" diameter?

Here are few crappy cell pics of my beer explosion.

image-1754350047.jpg

image-2202720878.jpg

Back