BC SQ14 Burner Lift Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieffenbach

Reaction score
Has anyone else given thought, or better yet practice to an SQ14 lift kit? Ideally I need an additional 12" of heigt to gravity drain into my fermenter. My thought was to get 4 pieces of square tubing (1.5"-1.75"), each 18-24" long, to use as legs. Each piece of tubing would be slipped on over the corners formed by the burners stand. My thoughts are that the tapered legs on the burner's stand would help to create a friction fit for the tubing. One could take it a step further and bolt the tubing to the burner frame...

Anyone feel this is a viable solution? I cannot be the first here to give this idea any thought. My trepidation is primarily determining whether the tubing will provide a stable enough base and whether or not the welds holding the burner stand together would be stressed excessively. Perhaps because the burner is so cheap to begin with, there is resistance to putting more money into a "cheap" burner?

I am excited to hear what others may have done.

When I still brewed with gas on the sq-14, I would just set it up on a couple of cinder blocks (8 x 8 x 16") to get the height to run off into the fermenters when done.

It is a heavy but cheap solution. :)

Hope that helps.

BSD

Before I built my brew stand I would make a platform for it to sit on out of some spare 4x4 and plywood. I don't see much of an issue with your plan with the square tubing.

if you extend the legs with tubing you may want to brace them with ties at the bottom so they don't splay or rack under the load.

My burner sits on a wooden platform that I built for it.

Back