Smoked wheat beer feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
I had a smoked wheat beer this winter, and wanted to make something similar to drink on a warm summer night. It was cloudy (big chill haze), a bit sweet, and had a smooth smokiness. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Volume: 5.5g
OG: 1.055
IBU: 32
Color: 5.2SRM

Grain:
5lbs Wheat Malt
3lbs 2-row
2lbs Smoked Malt
1lbs Flaked Wheat
4oz Peated Malt
Mash in at 153

Hops
60min - 0.5oz Centennial (9.5%)
15min - 0.5oz Chinook (13%)
5min - 0.5oz Chinoook (13%)

Yeast: I have Denny's and 1272 from previous batches in the fridge, but I'm open to suggestions.

I've been wanting to brew something similar, and this was the closest (only) all-grain recipe I could find. Did you brew this? If so, how did it turn out? Anything you would change?

No, I wasn't brave enough. From what I remember of the original beer, and having made a number of wits since then, I think I'd bump up the flaked wheat to 2lbs and drop the malted wheat to 4lbs. I'd also drop the IBUs to 20-25.

Thanks for getting back to me. Everyone I've talked to about what I've come up with has said too much smoked malt and too much peated malt, so I'm gonna do some more research before jumping in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm recalling this from a year and a half ago now, but I do not think there was any peated malt in the beer I sampled. It was rauchmalt, and a modest amount. The malted wheat was at the forefront, followed by light citrus hops (maybe amarillo) and a subtle smokiness that added complexity.

Back