Couple of hot days-- can I fix the fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldApe

Reaction score
I was fermenting an ABA with Whitelabs 001 in a room that has been staying in the high 60s pretty dependably, when we had a heat wave. For two days it was about 80 F in that room.

I think the main fermentation was probably finished; it was the sixth day in the fermenter, but my only choice was to move the fermenters into my chest cooler set in the low 60s. I suppose I most likely crashed the yeast to some extent.

Trouble is, since I also had to make a hop substitution (Mt. Hood for Liberty at flameout) on this recipe, I'm not quite sure if what I'm tasting is fusel alcohols, or if I just don't much care for Mt Hood.

Assuming that it's fusel alcohols, is there anything I can do after the fact to mitigate that? I've ordered some Liberty hops to dry hop with as well, hoping to get the same flavor and aroma I was looking for.

Hopefully, most of the heavy-duty yeast activity was done by day 6. What you might be tasting is simply "green" beer that needs to mature.

If you did get fusel alcohols, they do not, unfortunately, condition out over time.

Chris White actually recommends to bring fermentation up to those temps half way through. It helps to fully attenuate while the yeast are active, and does not affect flavor. I do this for every single brew.
And, I am pretty sure fusel alcohols change and soften over time.

Back