Making a Sour Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacty

Reaction score
Guys, I had a wonderful beer the other day that was a sour brown. It was bottle conditioned as had plenty of sediment in the bottle which I kept. My questions is :
Can I take a keg of a finished brown ale and add the sediment from this bottle and let it sit for several months and get the lacto and pediacaucus to take over? Do you think I would get good results with time? yes I want to infect one of my good american brown ales!!

Any thouhts?
Cheers!

off the top of my head, the Lacto will not be very healthy; the alcohol and time will have killed it off. But the other critters should be ok still. So, at the very least you will have Brett,which seems to survive like a roach in a nuclear war.

I think you're better off planning for a sour from the start. The IBU's in an American Brown will likely cause problems or at least result in some weird sourness-bitterness character.

I think you're better off planning for a sour from the start. The IBU's in an American Brown will likely cause problems or at least result in some weird sourness-bitterness character.

This is true but still give it a try. Don't dedicate an entire keg to the experiment but run a few litres of finished beer into a smaller container and add the dregs. Cider jugs work awesome but you can even do this in a 2 litre plastic pop bottle...and the advantage of a pop bottle is you can carb it with a carbonator cap and drink it without having to infect all of your bottling equipment. I've done this quite a few times and although not ideal, it is really low effort and has produced some very interesting beers.

Back