Fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lechien

Reaction score
I'm more of a brewer but was hoping for an answer with a wine kit.

I've got a chardonnay kit that has set long enough after one racking that it is perfectly clear, the next step that I was supposed to do a while ago was to add potassium metabisulfate and potassium sorbate, stir, and then add fining agent.

My question is will the potassium metabislufate and potassium sorbate make the wine cloudy if I was to rack the already perfectly clear wine and then add them. Can I get away without stirring up everything then having to wait for clarity?

Thanks

If its clear then don't worry about the fining agent, unless you cloud it when racking. The potassium metabisulfate is to prevent any wild yeast, or worse yet Micoderma, from ruining your wine. It shouldnt cloud anything up.

If you're not sweetening the wine, you don't need to add sorbate. I never use it, as it imparts a slight taste to the wine that I find objectionable. I rarely use the finings, either, as I haven't needed them. I also want vegetarian friendly wine, and often finings contain shellfish or other animal products.

I do use the sulfite/campden though! That's an antioxidant and preservative, and even in a very low level like in the kit, it's protective of the wine.

Thank you both for your knowledge, I'm going to rack it and only add the metabisulfate.

Back