ughhhh-LHBS gave me Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
Yesterday stopped in the LHBS (not really local but close enough) and picked up ingredients for three 5G IPAs I have on my hit list. They all have 2-row as a base (west coast IPAs).

Did not realized until this morning the 50lb sack he gave me is Rahl Pale Malt.

I read a bunch of postings and seems like this will definitely have a different flavor profile…should I return it or will it not be much different?

Different but subtle, very subtle IMO. Personnly not worth the hassle of returning.

Awesome - thanks for your comments. One of the problems with the internet is there are a thousand opinions on a hundred sites…makes figuring out ground truth difficult.

Yep, brew on. You're basically talking a difference of 1.7 vs 3 L, and as pointed out very subtle flavor difference. I often make west coast IPA's with Maris otter, which would be even further off from American 2 -row (and which some would consider heresy I know). Especially in recipes that are light on the specialty malts they turn out great.

Back