High OG for Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome ratboy5000! You probably didn't notice but the last post on this thread was 6/30/2013. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't expect an update from the original posters. But it was an interesting read.
1.130 is highish, but not abnormally so. The yeast will need help though to eat through all that sugar. The orange peels, raisins, and tea that you added will add some flavor, but not much of anything in the way of nutrients, which you probably know honey is deficient in. Most importantly is nitrogen which they can use to make protein to build their numbers up. B vitamins and zinc are important too. If you have access to a local homebrew shop, go and pickup some yeast nutrient. There are several brands with a few differences, but any of them will work OK. If you have no LHBS, then 1 teaspoon of bread yeast, boiled to kill it, is a pretty decent nutrient. There are detailed feeding schedules posted elsewhere in the forum, but I generally add 1 tsp of nutrient per gallon at the start, 1/2 tsp. 2 days later, and another 1/2 tsp. a day or two after that. Another important technique is to degas a couple times daily for about 1 week. This removes excess CO2 which drives down the pH and stops the yeast from reaching their full potential. I generally just stir with a sanitized spoon twice daily until I don't get any more foam.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back