Replicating A Prior Brew / Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJP00829

Ice Cold Brewer
Reaction score
Long story short: I inadvertently brewed a sour fruit beer that my family loves and wants me to make more. I believe the sourness came from lack of fermentation control. I have since moved to a new apartment and the ambient temperature is (guestimating) 25-30 degrees colder than when I brewed the last batch. So how do I replicate the ""off flavor"" from the original beer?

Long story:
Last year I brewed up a simple fruit (strawberry and blueberry) beer, and was convinced I screwed it up. When I first tasted it I got a nose and mouth full of sour and was not happy, especially because this was the 4th beer in a row with this sour note. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. And my family loved it, so much so that they've been requesting more for a family reunion this summer.

After the 2nd batch of sour beer, I cleaned everything top to bottom, thinking it was infected or wild yeasts were afoot. But I still got those sour flavors on the next 2 brews. Reading a bit more, I think the cause was ultimately uncontrolled fermentation temperatures. Fortunately I moved out shortly thereafter and assembled a swamp cooler... lo and behold, no more sour beer!

So simple to replicate, right? Just brew it again and dont control the fermentation, makes sense. However, I have since moved to a less temperature controlled apartment [read: old]. And the weather outside is 25-30 degrees colder than when I brewed the beer before.

So now my question becomes, how do I reliably replicate the sour notes? Should I just brew it up, put it in the primary, and RDWHAHB? Should I try to aquarium-heater warm it, and to what temps? Should I add some lactobacillus?

I'm definitely leaning towards the RDWHAHB method, but I'd like other people's input as well! :mug:

You might try a simple ceramic heater in a closet with a temperature controller. I've been using this method to keep my wine fermentations in the right temperature range, and it's been working well up through the high 70's. I'm sure it would go higher if I needed.

Wal-Mart bucket, aquarium heater.

Funny, they always say to take detailled notes on your brewing so you can reproduce it. I know I don't, maybe I should start.

Back