BiaB possible for a 2.5gal batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Long time dye in the wool extract brewer here. My equipment setup "e-kettle" I can boil 3.5gal max. Since I have a spare 2.5gal corny keg. I thought I would give BiaB a shot on a small scale.

New to this, should I take a 5gal all grain recipe/kit and cut it in half? Or use beer smith and adjust the ingredient volume ?

2.5 biab is how I started brewing all grain and before I had beersmith I just cut the recipe in half.

Northern Brewer has several BIAB kits for 2.5 gallon batches. I've done the 100% Kolsch and the Belgian Farmhouse IPA and they're both fantastic. Just search for BIAB on their site.

2.5 biab is how I started brewing all grain and before I had beersmith I just cut the recipe in half.

I agree that you can cut the recipe in half, but you might have to adjust for a lower efficiency. For your first BIAB, I would shoot for 60%.

Just my .02

jwalk4 said:
I agree that you can cut the recipe in half, but you might have to adjust for a lower efficiency. For your first BIAB, I would shoot for 60%.

Just my .02

60% is exactly where my biab batches were sitting.

Just my .02

I personally would set eff at 70% and see where you are from there. First BIAB I did 70%, after that I have been in the upper 70s% to mid 80s%.

mb82 said:
I personally would set eff at 70% and see where you are from there. First BIAB I did 70%, after that I have been in the upper 70s% to mid 80s%.

I have to agree. I did a NB De Belge Farmouse IPA kit and got well over the target 1.060 provided per kit instructions. I hit 1.068, 78% My 2 subsequent batches have been at 75% and 76% (on a 1.090 IIPA thAt ended up at 1.097)

Aim for 70 and see what you get.

Back