Wyeast 3724 Temp Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
I'm making a Saison tomorrow, and I'm using Wyeast 3724. I have a temp controller. I was planning on pitching in the upper 60's, leaving it at 70 overnight, then increasing to 77 for a couple days, then the 80's after a few more days, and finally up to the low 90's after a few more.

Sound ok?

What'd you end up doing for this yeast? How'd it come out? I'm planning on using this yeast for the first time this weekend. I'm going to brew/pitch on Sunday afternoon, then I won't be able to check on it for a few days. I have an aquarium heater setup with a temperature controller.

I think my plan is to pitch in the mid 70s, then wait as long as I can and set the controller to 85 right before I leave. Should take it quite a while (maybe 6 hours?) to get the entire volume up to that temperature. Then a couple days later bump it to 88 or 90 for the duration.

There are so many threads on this yeast but it seems like I can't find a "definitive" ferm schedule!

I use WLp565 which is the white labs equivalent of 3724 (DuPont strain).

My temp schedule is:

Oxygenate and Pitch at 68 and hold for 2 days. Day 3 I set the temp controller for 80F and let it go. My controller does heat and cool so with an electric fermwrap Im up to 80 in 12-18 hours. It stays at 80 for 4-5 more days and I'm usually at terminal gravity by then. I usually crash cool to get last of the yeast to settle out and and keg on day 10 but have kegged earlier. The beer always tastes great after day 7.

I think the key is getting it up to 80 quickly after the first few days of growth happen at the cooler temp.

Post back and let me know how that worked for you.

I put mine in the garage where it was around 85 for 3 weeks. Is it ok to leave it out there that long at 85 degrees or will fusal alcohols take over my beer!?

I put mine in the garage where it was around 85 for 3 weeks. Is it ok to leave it out there that long at 85 degrees or will fusal alcohols take over my beer!?

Well, the fusels are only a concern during the initial fermentation phase, they aren't a function of duration. But that's the thing, I've heard that a lot of people pitch hot and ferment hot, and that's supposedly what DuPont does. But I don't want to get a beer full of fusels. Unfortunately since I won't be around I can't do the "ramp it a few degrees every day" schedule. But I can probably give it a good 12 hours between when I pitch and when I heat it up to 85.

Well, the fusels are only a concern during the initial fermentation phase, they aren't a function of duration. But that's the thing, I've heard that a lot of people pitch hot and ferment hot, and that's supposedly what DuPont does. But I don't want to get a beer full of fusels. Unfortunately since I won't be around I can't do the "ramp it a few degrees every day" schedule. But I can probably give it a good 12 hours between when I pitch and when I heat it up to 85.

I think you'll be fine with that plan. I just did a 1.053 saison 2 weeks ago and my gravity today was 1.010. I pitched around 70 and ramped up from there. I'm at 85 today and cranked up the heat as far as it would go, hoping for 90ish to finish it out. I'm expecting to drop a few more points before kegging.

Cool, thanks for the input. I guess I'll just see how this one comes out and go from there! Got a starter spinning away in my kitchen :mug:

I've done 3 brews with this yeast over the last couple of months. I cool to 70-72 then pitch, as fermentation kicks off it naturally rises to 74-76 for the first day or two and from there I make sure it rises about 2 degrees a day up to 84.

86-87% apparent attenuation in a little over a week.

I'm getting a great yeast profile, very complex and it definitely dominates the flavor profile of the beer.

Welp... after 2 weeks at 85 degrees, my beer is still at 1.020 and actively fermenting. Still plenty of bubbling in the blowoff and an active krausen. I bumped the temperature up to 95 and I'll check back in a week.

Despite the fact that it's so high maintenance, I think this yeast is going to be worth it. The hydro sample tasted incredible: tons of tart black pepper, clove, and bubble gum. I'm so excited for the final product. I'll report back in a week. I mashed at 147 and had a good amount of simple sugar, so the final attenuation should be up in the high 80s as well.

Back