Gravity Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I bought Palmer's how to brew this weekend. In it, he mentioned that gravity readings are based off 59°, but I always base mine off 68°
So my question is, would the Brewers Assistant App I have on my phone tell me predicted OG and FG at 59°?
Also, since my og and fgs are taken at 68, calculating my abv wouldnt be affected, since its based off the same temperature, right?

Right, Palmer states that the SG scale is "Referenced" from 59 F.
But you need to look at what temperature your hydrometer is "calibrated" to(Usually printed at the bottom of the scale), and also check it at that temperature to be sure it's right.
Although, if your only concern is abv then it doesn't matter as long as both readings are at the same temp.

I'm also trying to see about how close to the predicted og I'm getting. My last batch was predicted at 1.053 and at 68° I got 1.049. There aren't any settings to set the gravity to a different temperature on the app, that's why I was curious.

Yes, your app is gonna want corrected values. What I was getting at is, look at your hydrometer and down at the bottom of the scale probably in very tiny print is the temp that it's supposed to read the proper value. You need to check that ie. I have one that states 60F but when checked in distilled water it reads 1.00 at 66F not at 60. Once you know that temp you'll have no more worrys...

Yes, your app is gonna want corrected values. What I was getting at is, look at your hydrometer and down at the bottom of the scale probably in very tiny print is the temp that it's supposed to read the proper value. You need to check that ie. I have one that states 60F but when checked in distilled water it reads 1.00 at 66F not at 60. Once you know that temp you'll have no more worrys...

I'll check the hydrometer and I'll test it out in distilled water. Hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

Back