Too much hop gunk got into fermenter... dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldy81

Reaction score
Hi,

I made a Pliny the Elder clone few days ago and while transferring,

I got about an inch of hop gunk into a carboy. Should I dump it?

Never had this happening before.. I actually put hops in muslin bags.

Thanks in advance

DO NOT DUMP! There are a ton of hops in that recipe. They'll settle on the bottom with the yeast cake during fermentation. They will not damage your beer in any way. It is normal.

I've always dumped everything into primary, gunk, hops, everything, and I've never had any issues thus far.

I can't tell if you are trolling or being serious. Have you ever used upwards of a pound of hops per 5 gallons, if not then no matter what you do short of a hop blocker, you are going to get residual. No don't dump it, it will be fine.

NO PROBLEM! ...and that's coming from someone who doesn't even like hops. On my first batch ever, before I knew that trub was nearly liquid, I siphoned almost everything in the pot into my fermenter and freaked out. I thought I'd totally screwed up. Upon researching, I heard what the posters above said: DON'T WORRY! Before fermentation was done, I bought a secondary carboy and racked into it, leaving almost all the sludge (yeast cake and hops) in the primary. Even the slight cloudiness from the primary settled out in the secondary. Once bottled, the beer had great clarity, even though it started out as a sludgey mess in the primary. RDWHAHB!

A whole inch. Definitely a dumper.
I will give you $20 for the lot - just PM me.

Back