I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
passedpawn said:
I did just that a few years ago. It was really good and age great (I think I might have some bottles left, in boxes).
That's what I remember about the last batch, made probably 2 years ago. It all went so fast but the last couple bottles which I forgot about. I'm going to try to hang on the most of this till fall.

I spilled 2 gallons of sanitizer on my craft room floor. But, I don't want to talk about it. Just a little mishap and now the floor is clean. And my extra printer paper ruined. :mad:

More pictures because it is the weekend and who doesn't like pictures on the weekend?

Let's see, first one, someone left a mess in my yard. Learn how to recycle your empty coke can!!! Making my yard look all trashy.

Picture 2 is some hops, they are growing.

Picture 3, potted oregano, it's REALLY growing.

Picture 4, that's where I left 14 pounds of grain to dry in the sun, but something, or some things must have eaten it.

Last one, that's the bottom shelf, back of my refrigerator. I really should have worked on cleaning out the refrigerator today. Ewww!

amess.jpg

hops1.jpg

pottedoregano.jpg

grainisgone.jpg

backoffridge.jpg

Those tree guys seem to love their jobs. They get all excited about felling the tall ones.

That's some ugly chicken, BobbiLynn. And I'm glad to see mayo in your fridge instead of that awful Miracle Whip.

Fire!!! But do not panic, I have created a perimeter. It is contained. Just burning the small limbs, saving the bigger stuff. My dog decided he doesn't want to play with the big sticks anymore. He doesn't like fire.

I decided to push the envelope on available kettle space today. I was going to split this up in to two boils, but I didn't want to lose the extra to boil-off. I also didn't want to dilute. I started with 10.125 gallons in an 11 gallon kettle. It went very well. No boil over!

That's a hard boil for being so close to the top. Congrats!!! I guess I must barely boil mine, I'd worry about a boil like that being so full.

That's a hard boil for being so close to the top. Congrats!!! I guess I must barely boil mine, I'd worry about a boil like that being so full.

I was nervous at first. I had my Fermcap ready to go, but I never needed it. It actually went perfect. I have a 15.5gal keggle, but my burner overheats with it. The burner has a safety switch that shuts it off when it overheats, so I don't use the keggle. I really need a better burner.

Those tree guys seem to love their jobs. They get all excited about felling the tall ones.

That's some ugly chicken, BobbiLynn. And I'm glad to see mayo in your fridge instead of that awful Miracle Whip.

Maybe I can enter him in an ugly chicken contest. Win some $'s. I don't often eat oily store bought products, but when I do it's real Kraft mayo. And the treeman did seem happy. :)

Planning a lot of oregano beer, I see. :p

Yes, no worries about running out of oregano beer. Probably will get another 5 gallon batch going before the weekend is over. And I got plenty of yeast in case I need to re-pitch after the first couple days.

If it starts to take on the color of peanut butter, then toss it. Not worth the DME to get it back to life, much less the possibility of infection.
I took the lees from my last batch of concord wine, and added salt until it was a saturated salt solution. Then stuck it in a couple 750ml bottles. The batch went kinda soy sauce on me.

It's been in with the salt for 12 days and it's getting more and more soy saucish. Still a good amount of fruit flavor too. I figured I'd give it about 3 months and see how it is.

I spilled 2 gallons of sanitizer on my craft room floor. But, I don't want to talk about it. Just a little mishap and now the floor is clean. And my extra printer paper ruined. :mad:
You can still use it for paper mache. Maybe do some fancy pulp paper stuff. That could be interesting for you paper craft projects.

You know, I think finding a use for ruined material is how a lot of adult beverages came about. Hmm, I've got some rotten grapes here. I think I'll drink the stinky liquid that came off of it. ;)

Nope, still burning. But calm down, it is contained.

I'm nearly always calm. However, I'm sure my definition of a contained fire is similar to many of the HBT'ers, and it'd make many a firefighting bear nervous.

I just bottled 1 gallon of Boysenberry wine tonight. Hats off to the Mr. Knott's and his wonderful berry.

My wireless headphones haven't been holding a charge lately, plus they have been losing contact with the base station more then they should. I pulled out the batteries. Nimh, 650 mah, AAA's. Now why was I thinking these would be hard to replace? Popped a couple of 700 mah nimh's I had laying around in. Now the headphones work as well as they did new. :D

Evening HBT late nite crew. Took the family out for pizza tonight, then we sat on the driveway and watched the space shuttle shoot across the sky. Put my camera on BULB and tried to capture the streak, but screwed up and only got about 1 second worth. Ugh.

Check this out. If you listen carefully, you'll recognize this as the old, original recording of a very famous song. Solomon Linda is the tall guy on the far left - it's his song. He sings the main soprano parts. It was recorded in Africa about 75 years ago.

For your late nite soundtrack, Solomon Linda and the Evening Birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tasted the apple mint brew and I must say, it is highly unusual. Almost impossible to describe. Tastes more like a strong wine or even like sour liquor. I will call it the sour apple blend. It's very unusual and curious how it tastes as it ages.

If you listen carefully, you'll recognize this as the old, original recording of a very famous song. Solomon Linda is the tall guy on the far left - it's his song. He sings the main soprano parts. It was recorded in Africa about 75 years ago.

For your late nite soundtrack, Solomon Linda and the Evening Birds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrQT4WkbNE

I get this:

I have tasted the apple mint brew and I must say, it is highly unusual. Almost impossible to describe. Tastes more like a strong wine or even like sour liquor. I will call it the sour apple blend. It's very unusual and curious how it tastes as it ages.

I have an aggressive chocolate mint plant. It wants to take over every inch of land. I wonder how it'd taste as a brew. What are you using as a base for your herb type beers?

Having now tasted of the forbidden fruit wilt though ever again be satisfied with the sup of mere mortals?

I'm in my own little world right now, will get back to reality and pay attention in a few minutes.

The apple mint brew needs sugar. I will have to amend it before continuing. Sour and bitter. Very sour and bitter. But, what kind of sugar does it want? I will have to think about it and amend this batch. I just don't see how it could get better with time without amendments. :confused:

Turns out, it's not a horrible 70s song after all.

Wanted to name a blackberry stout with brett 'Black Bretty' but the Ram Jam version is just too awful.

I'm in my own little world right now, will get back to reality and pay attention in a few minutes.

The apple mint brew needs sugar. I will have to amend it before continuing. Sour and bitter. Very sour and bitter. But, what kind of sugar does it want? I will have to think about it and amend this batch. I just don't see how it could get better with time without amendments. :confused:
You mean like the constitution?

If it really does remind you of apples, then a reasonable way to back sweeten would be with frozen apple juice concentrate. That's really common with cider.

I just added 2 pounds of light brown sugar to the batch and poured in some extra yeast. Spur of the moment decision. Fire is still going, but continue not to worry, it's pretty much under control still.

You mean like the constitution?

If it really does remind you of apples, then a reasonable way to back sweeten would be with frozen apple juice concentrate. That's really common with cider.

Yes, like the constitution. Well, I already added 2 pounds of light brown sugar and some of the yeast that's been hanging out in the back of the fridge. Because you know, apples, brown sugar.... maybe I will add cinnamon too.

This batch will not be called sour apple blend, instead I will call it sweet apple pie. Brown sugar and cinnamon, with the sour apple flavor. Will try to keep notes.

I have an aggressive chocolate mint plant. It wants to take over every inch of land. I wonder how it'd taste as a brew. What are you using as a base for your herb type beers?

I have some chocolate mint going too and definitely plan to brew with it. It is so good that how could the beerish thing come out badly? I am using 2-row as a base, and sometimes a little crystal malt or I lightly roast some of the 2-row. Also adding a couple pounds of LME for good measure. And dry corn sugar. Then whatever herb, lots of it.

Oh, for 5 gallons.

BL, do you own a hydrometer? It seems like you never post gravity or ABV info?

Yes, I used it once, I think it was v-man who told me what it meant. But I can't remember now. I have owned 2 hydrometers, first one got broken so ordered a new one. Never got to use the first one. I pretty much have no idea where the other one is. I think I recall storing it in a fabric bin, so it would not break. I'll look for it. Most people seems to think gravity readings are important.

Back