Upset I can't find my story/poem thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
Years ago I wrote a children's story, written in rhyme, had little illustrations for each page, it was very cute. Wanted to try and get it published or even self-publish it but something came up, I didn't get around to it. I haven't searched everywhere yet, but a daunting task, my old writings, drawings, sketches and poetry fill up box after box of paper. Hubby did buy me a file cabinet and a couple cases of file folders to sort things in, hmmm, I better start using it.

Stack after stack of paper, piled so high they start tipping over. I just want to find that one thing!!! I really loved it and my kids loved it too.

I know that even if I don't find it, it's still somewhere in my head, I wrote it once, can't I write it twice?

It was called "House Like a Rainbow", about a little girl who loved colors and textures, and anything else "pretty". She dreams of growing up and living in a little neighborhood, and having a home that will make "neighbors stop and stare". She doesn't realize they are staring because of all the outrageousness, she thinks they are admiring her yard and all the pretty colors and "art".

She starts off describing something very pretty and socially acceptable(I remember some parts of it):
"In my yard bluebirds will sing everyday,
Red robins will fly, while baby squirrels play."

I don't recall the exact words, but she'll also have flowers in her yard, each one in the rainbow's colors.

As she gets more outrageous with the stuff she dreams of, I remember this page, illustration shows her smiling dreamily as she walks through the overgrown grass:
"I want my grass to be green and shine when I walk through it,
Tickling me, up to my knees, I'll tell my friends I grew it!"

She goes on to get a pink cat named Fred and a green dog named Turtle. Paints the roof and the front door some crazy bright/contrasting colors...

She wants the walls to be just plain white. Then she'll take paint brushes and make them very bright, throw some bright purple here, some bright yellow there, when neighbors drive by, they will stop and stare.

Well, something like that. When I find this one, I should also find some others. One called "Ghost in my Closet". There's a ghost in my closet and he stole my other sock, but my mom says, "It got lost in the wash". About a little boy who has a ghost watching over him, sometimes the ghost steals things like matching socks, and even one time his birthday cake. But the ghost also steals bad thoughts. Second half of a page I remember: "Like the way I felt when my Grandma died, my ghost took that." Illustration shows the ghost by the boy's bed, rubbing his forehead and comforting him. Also happens to be that his grandmother loved sweets and playing jokes on the grandkids.

Anyway, all this to say I am upset I can't find the papers I am looking for. I will start filing everything until I come across them.

When I first joined this site, someone warned others that I like to tell stories. And good call, I do like to tell stories. I often wander off in my own mind and reality is what I see.

I think you are remembering things because your kids are gone off to school. I was thinking the other day way back when my kid was real young making up stories and telling them to her.

I think it is one of the good things about getting older.

I think you are remembering things because your kids are gone off to school. I was thinking the other day way back when my kid was real young making up stories and telling them to her.

I think it is one of the good things about getting older.

Yes, I miss them. The longer they are gone, I don't miss them less, I miss them more. We always loved reading and writing stories together. I remember another one that was a murder mystery, the cat ate the bird, we finally found out in the end after a trial and everything. At first a raccoon was blamed.

We blamed the raccoon at first because he was so wide-eyed and innocent looking that we figured it was a facade, should have known to blame the squinty eyed possum.

Back