Make Me a Hop Addition Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lem14

Reaction score
Ok so next week I am going to do a new recipe and I have the grain bill set. I just need a Hop Schedule for what I have lying around...

5 gallons
Grain Bill
7 lbs Rahr premium pilsner
3 lbs Rahr 2-row
1.5 lbs Munich Malt
60 min at 153F

Hops
1oz Citra
1oz Cascade
1 oz Warrior

Yeast: WLP007

Lets hear the addition schedule.

Thanks for the help as well.

I'd do 1 oz warrior 60 min, 1 oz citra 15 or 10 min, 1 oz cascade 1 min. Assuming you'll have more hops by the time you need to dry hop.

I'd do 1 oz warrior 60 min, 1 oz citra 15 or 10 min, 1 oz cascade 1 min. Assuming you'll have more hops by the time you need to dry hop.

depending on the aa, that'll put it around 65-70 ibu. the times are ok, but you might want to use .5 of each or so, depending on what you're looking for in hops

depending on the aa, that'll put it around 65-70 ibu. the times are ok, but you might want to use .5 of each or so, depending on what you're looking for in hops

Yeah, I like mine hoppy. I like to load up on the late additions. I'd probably use 4 ounces in the last 15 minutes if it were up to me and I didn't have the 3 oz limit.

So Adaman05...

I like the asumption that you make. I shall have to get more hops for the secondary.... What should I add. 1-2 oz of ___???

So Cascade at 1 min [check], Citra at 10 min [check], and then what do you guys think about .5 warrior at 60 min and .5 at 30 min???

So Adaman05...

I like the asumption that you make. I shall have to get more hops for the secondary.... What should I add. 1-2 oz of ___???

So Cascade at 1 min [check], Citra at 10 min [check], and then what do you guys think about .5 warrior at 60 min and .5 at 30 min???

I love dry hopping with citra, but I don't think you can go wrong with cascade either. I'd do 2 oz, maybe 3.

I'd plug it into software then adjust the warrior additions to hit the IBU's you want. Looks like you're in IPA range so I'd probably go the full oz at 60 but depends what you're after.

I also like citra for dryhopping but I usually pair it with something else. You could do a combo of citra/cascade. Or if you like a little pine with your citrus, I just kicked an IPA that I dry hopped with a combo of citra/simcoe/chinook and it had awesome aroma.

I don't have experience making IPA (or whatever you call this one), so this is somewhat theoretical. It matches pretty well with what has been talked about above.

60 mins: 0.5 oz warrior
45 mins: 0.5 oz warrior
15 mins: 0.25 oz citra + 0.25 oz cascade
5 mins: 0.5 oz citra
1 min: 0.5 oz cascade
Dry hop: 0.25 oz citra + 0.25 oz cascade

According to Beersmith that's around 68 IBU. You could obviously move some quantities around in the late additions, but I don't generally like to dry hop very heavily.

I don't have experience making IPA (or whatever you call this one), so this is somewhat theoretical. It matches pretty well with what has been talked about above.

60 mins: 0.5 oz warrior
45 mins: 0.5 oz warrior
15 mins: 0.25 oz citra + 0.25 oz cascade
5 mins: 0.5 oz citra
1 min: 0.5 oz cascade
Dry hop: 0.25 oz citra + 0.25 oz cascade

According to Beersmith that's around 68 IBU. You could obviously move some quantities around in the late additions, but I don't generally like to dry hop very heavily.
that looks good to me. i like hoppy. after all, i'm doing a hop stoopid clone tomorrow :D

by the way, the 68 IBU estimate is based on the Beersmith default AA% values for those hops. I think it's 15% for the Warrior, 5.5% for the Cascade, and 12% for the Citra. (Whether you consider it worth adjusting for small AA% variations is up to you!)

by the way, the 68 IBU estimate is based on the Beersmith default AA% values for those hops. I think it's 15% for the Warrior, 5.5% for the Cascade, and 12% for the Citra. (Whether you consider it worth adjusting for small AA% variations is up to you!)

Yeah, definitely look at those AAs when calculating IBUs. The last crop of citra I had came in at 14.1%, well above the Beersmith default.

So here is what I ended up going with. Thanks for the recommendations.

0.5 Warrior at 60 min
0.5 Warrior at 30 min
0.25 Citra at 15 Min
0.25 Citra at flameout
0.50 Cascade at flameout
0.5 Citra Dry Hop
1.5 Cascade Dry Hop

Should I add another oz of Cascade to Dry Hop? My local homebrew shop is all out of Citra.
I will go to secondary next Thursday.

What's your OG?

With only 3 oz. hops to work with, I suggest making an APA. You won't even get close to a quality American IPA with just 3 oz. total hops. Definitely pick up more hops if you want this to be an IPA.

However, for an APA:

35 IBUs Warrior @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 5 min
1.0 oz. Citra @ whirlpool
1.5 oz. Warrior & Cascade @ dryhop

O.G. came in at 1.063.

As far as IBU's goes, after punching in the AA for the hops I used, I came to 46.23.

I will see how it turns out. It smelled pretty good coming out of the fermenter, but I agree with you, not quite IPA territory and that is ok.

In the fridge I have 0.5oz of Citra and 2.5 oz of Cascade set aside for this brew. Would you toss it all in for the dry hop, some, or none? I have an Imperial wheat going that I will dry hop with 1 oz of Citra and 1 oz Amarillo and I could add more Citra to that.

O.G. came in at 1.063.

As far as IBU's goes, after punching in the AA for the hops I used, I came to 46.23.

I will see how it turns out. It smelled pretty good coming out of the fermenter, but I agree with you, not quite IPA territory and that is ok.

In the fridge I have 0.5oz of Citra and 2.5 oz of Cascade set aside for this brew. Would you toss it all in for the dry hop, some, or none? I have an Imperial wheat going that I will dry hop with 1 oz of Citra and 1 oz Amarillo and I could at more Citra to that.

If it were me, I'd use at least two of those ounces. I usually do three.

Back