What are advantages of dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmittyisLEGEND

Reaction score
I've done three batches now and the first two were ruined by over sanitizing with iodine and the third seemed to have a funny off taste. I'm curious if it could be adding the hops into the boil and then if it's when I strain it into my primary that takes some flavor out..? And if so would dry hopping be a good idea? And what are the pros and cons of both?

Hey there,

Just curious as a fellow rookie if I'm asking the right questions here so bear with me...

1. When you say you oversanitized - what do you mean? Why was the beer ruined?

2. Have you considered switching to Star San? I threw the povidone iodine in my setup in the trash on day one, bought a small container of Star San and never looked back. Stuff is awesome. Not saying there's anything wrong with the PI, but hey, maybe another sanitation option would better suit your brewing style?

3. Regarding your beer again - are you following a recipe? As a new brewer you probably are or at least maybe you should be. I just finished bottling my second IPA and 4th overall brew and I followed the instructions to the letter and they're turning out great. In addition to three hop rounds during the boil on this last one, I also dry hopped it, and the sample I tried when bottling was awesome!

So I'd suggest the following. Keep in mind I'm a rookie...

1. Try using Star San. I brew 5 gal batches and mix up 2.5 gallon batches of Star San for each phase - plenty to sanitize everything. Don't fear the foam! ;)

2. If you're not already doing it, follow a recipe! I'm finding that brewing is a bit more forgiving than you may think, but some basic logic and direction does need to be followed. Pair that with really good sanitation habits and you'll be loving your homebrew in no time!

Good luck,
Tim

With the first batch I used the iodine sanitizer and i didn't read directions since I was too excited to start making my own beer and I just put how much I thought was right... Sadly found out that I over did and and the iodine taste stained into my plastic fermenter bucket and the beer had a distinct iodine taste to it:(. And with the second batch I use the same plastic bucket that I think must have held the iodine taste since it turned out with that same taste, (switched to star-San after the first batch and followed directions). I am following recipes from my local homebrew store an haven't had any luck yet... Must be something that I am doing. I'm doing an ipa right now and I just got done with three weeks in the primary which I have heard works out great for other people but I tried it a few days ago and it kind of had an off taste to it but smelt great! Hoping that it just needs a couple more days to ferment more but I'm not quite sure since I'm new to homebrewing...

If you're still using the same primary fermenter where you had the iodine mishap, I'd suggest replacing it. You can always keep it and use it as a 'sanitizing' bucket or something. Just a thought.

Pay close attention to your temps and follow your instructions to the letter, and you should have no problems making a decent, drinkable beer! I'm by no means the most knowledgeable person on here. Not even close, but if you ever want to PM me with questions, feel free!

I now use the bucket like you said for sanitizer and switched to primary carboy. And hopefully I don't have to give it another go and it turns out good, and I'll pm u if I run into any questions thank you!

Back