Temp regulation in primary (time question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopdogg315

Reaction score
How long do I need to keep regulating the temperature in my primary? I brewed a nut brown ale as my first batch on Saturday. This morning I woke up and it's at 70 degrees, which everything I've read is in okay limits. Do I keep this going for the full weeks until bottling?

It'll be just fine. Letting it rise a little helps the yeast finish up. You just dont want the temp fluctuating up and down. Fluctuations can shock the yeast, causing them to fall out.

Hi I have a similar question:
I did my first brew last Saturday, A Pilsner (so today is the 4th day) temperature of my fermenter (covered) stayed stable at 75 for first 2 days I would say, yesterday was at 71.6 and today between this and 68. It can be because fermentation is almost done? (it is fast fermentation about 5-7 days) I can see bubbles in the airlock and plus I have not noticed any sensible variation in the house temperature.
Thanks for your help!

Ferm temp range ranges are important primarily for the strain of yeast you are using. First look up the strain of yeast and the producers temp recommendations. In general, ale yeasts work at higher temp (+/- 60F) and larger yeast at cooler temps (+/- 40-50F). Ferm temp outside the range for your yeast can produce off flavors.

I forgot to mention that I am using a kit, this one to be more specific: http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/brewmaker-pilsner-p-446.html

And I followed all the instructions in terms also of temperature, is in line with what was stated in the papers. My question is how to explain this temperature lowering and if it is affecting negatively my brew.

Thanks!

Fermentation generates heat so during very active ferm wort temps will go up. What is important is the temp of the wort not the ambient temp. So during active ferm you may need to drop the ambient temp.

Also, if the temps you used are what he recommended this is not a lager and thus not a Pilsener either. Hopefully the yeast strain was an ale yeast so the end result is at least something drinkable.

So back to the original question. How long must you regulate temps? When you bottle they say to just store anywhere in dark places. Nothing mentioned about the temp. How long should I be keeping it cool?

So back to the original question. How long must you regulate temps? When you bottle they say to just store anywhere in dark places. Nothing mentioned about the temp. How long should I be keeping it cool?

No fixed answer to that question. It depends upon the style of beer you are brewing (primarily whether ale or lager) and other objectives (for example, diacytl rest or not). With either, temp regulation is more important during primary fermentation when the yeast is more active. Less important after that because the yeast are less active and thus less likely to produce off flavors. But if you want to brew really excellent beer then temp and time are very important...especially for lagers.

Lots of different fermentation profiles out there which vary based upon style and objectives. Two basic example Ale and Lager profiles from Beer Smith attached.

Re storage. In my experience it is best to keep beers stored at a temp near their final fermentation stage temp. For example, if you warm it up and the cool it down you may develop problems like chill haze etc.

Lager Profile.jpg

Ale profile.jpg

I forgot to mention that I am using a kit, this one to be more specific: http://www.balliihoo.co.uk/brewmaker-pilsner-p-446.html

And I followed all the instructions in terms also of temperature, is in line with what was stated in the papers. My question is how to explain this temperature lowering and if it is affecting negatively my brew.

Thanks!

Often, the printed instructions that come with batch kits have certain shortcomings and can sometimes be just plain wrong. This is especially true on the subject of pitching/fermenting temperatures. Any kit that says "ready to drink in 14 days" is suspect IMO.

As a result, you might think you're OK putting the fermenter where it's 72-74*F not realizing that the temp inside the bucket is around 80*F during the more active part of the process. This is also the time when off-flavors are produced if yeast is stressed (due to being too warm). When it comes time to taste the result, there are some weird, twangy flavors present from too warm of a ferment.

Most ale yeast does nicely if kept in the low-->mid 60's during the first week. Afterwards, let it warm into the mid--->upper 60's to allow the yeast to clean up some of the stuff normally produced during the active phase.

Generally, too cool=yeast goes to sleep or is sluggish. To warm=production of off-flavors and maybe even fusel alcohol.

Probably i did not explain myself clear: the temperature I was indicating was of the brew in the bucket, not the room temperature which is less. Anyway few minutes ago I run an hydrometer test and confirmed 2 things: 1) was not ready to be transferred to the pressure barrell (1020 of gravity) but this was something that I was expecting clearly. 2) Kreusen was for 90% gone which should be good no?

Plus The aroma is typical of the beer and I gave it ago drinking the sample and it was not bad at all.

One question for you: when in your opinion should I run another hydrometer test? 2 days? Thanks!

Back