Can a 3 gallon carboy be used effectively to make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make 2 higher gravity beers that each will use the same yeast and need a gallon of starter each. Was wondering if any has tried using a 3 gallon carboy to make a larger starter.

I don't see why not. Just be sure to step it up. Dont just add 2 gallons and pitch your culture. Work it up to the 2 gallon. I believe the best way to do it would be something like a 1L then the two gallon. This obviously depends on your culture size.

I already have the yeast from the 1 gallon stage but I don't have a second 1 gallon container to use for the next step.

Decant as much liquid as you can and pitch fresh wort on top. Wont get you exact numbers for a 2gal starter but youll get pretty close.
Cheers!

I do it all the time. Usually use 2-3L on a stirplate, then up to 8L in the carboy (O2 dosed every 15min for a couple hours). 16.5gal batch.

Back