I went "pro" - What it actually takes to do so

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread! MOAR! I have exactly 3 one gallon batches under my belt (LOL), but nonetheless it is absolutely fascinating to read about someone taking the hobby to prime time.

Thanks.

Not sure what else to post.

(Knock on wood) things seem to be going really well. I think we're kind of going along a bit better than we had dreamed of. We just started selling growlers (actually 1L and 500ML flip tops) and had a line7-8 people deep out the door of the brewery the other day for almost two hours. That didn't suck. Small tidbit: you make a &€%£ ton more on bottles than kegs.

Other than that... Just humming along.

One negative thing... A running joke between me and my two partners has been that we were strictly doing this for hot beer groupies and the mountains of naked boobies that would come along with them (and yes, all three of our wives are aware of this lofty goal of ours).

Sale are awesome but... sadly... not a single naked boobie yet.

Our dreams are teetering on the edge of being dashed.

Thanks.

(Knock on wood) things seem to be going really well. I think we're kind of going along a bit better than we had dreamed of. We just started selling growlers (actually 1L and 500ML flip tops) and had a line7-8 people deep out the door of the brewery the other day for almost two hours. That didn't suck. Small tidbit: you make a &€%£ ton more on bottles than kegs.

One negative thing... A running joke between me and my two partners has been that we were strictly doing this for hot beer groupies and the mountains of naked boobies that would come along with them (and yes, all three of our wives are aware of this lofty goal of ours).

Beer For Boobies Tuesday. 1/2 off growler fills for flashing!

Beer For Boobies Tuesday. 1/2 off growler fills for flashing!

Yeah... But then it's almost like we're payin' for it. We figured we would just see a ton of naked boobies cuz we're super cool pro brewers. (Ahhh. I think I see the flaw in our plan now that I have typed that out)

Yeah... But then it's almost like we're payin' for it. We figured we would just see a ton of naked boobies cuz we're super cool pro brewers. (Ahhh. I think I see the flaw in our plan now that I have typed that out)

The old rule is: be careful what you wish for! Most of the craft beer afficianados I know are men... which means MOOBS! :(

Some things you just don't want to see--even for free!

I see more boobs than I care to. Trust me, boobs and work do not mix. Its probably better from a touring rock-star perspective than mine I suppose. Also, age matters, and if you disagree, you've got another thing coming but just don't know it yet. Your beer will be its own reward. Congrats on the success! I am envious - love my job but it sometimes sucks badly and nothing I can do to change, and while I love it, it is with less passion than I have for brewing. Keep fighting the good fight for the rest of us to live vicariously through your success.

TD

I'm an xray/ct/sono/nuclear tech and those aren't exactly the type of breasts that one would like to see routinely :)

Thanks.

You may want to expand into light beers with lime in them, sure you may turn your beer loving customers, but light lime beer attracts the ladies (including the male ones)

To get back on track I suppose then, how does one go about finding out what the distribution laws are for a state?
Specifically, can a brewer self distribute for Consume off premises, and/or consume on premises businesses? And also, can they sell in a "tasting room" or at an in-brewery (or at least on property of) operated bar?

I tried to look this up online for FL, and holy legal quagmire of mumbo jumbo documents...

TD

To get back on track I suppose then, how does one go about finding out what the distribution laws are for a state?
Specifically, can a brewer self distribute for Consume off premises, and/or consume on premises businesses? And also, can they sell in a "tasting room" or at an in-brewery (or at least on property of) operated bar?

I tried to look this up online for FL, and holy legal quagmire of mumbo jumbo documents...

TD

What state are you in?

A big NO there. Kinda kills that idea I think.

I think that FL does permit a Consume on Premises direct sales, but not sure.
In FL if you're a distributor, its like a permit to print your own money.

Thanks

TD

TD in the state of Florida you aren't allowed to distribute... We have the three tier system which is crazy but thanks to big daddy Budweiser and his Bush Gardens we are allowed a tasting room at the brewery as long as you meet the requirements on hand... I know this because i am in the process of establishing my nano brewery and i jump red tape daily .

Big_Cat said:
TD in the state of Florida you aren't allowed to distribute... We have the three tier system which is crazy but thanks to big daddy Budweiser and his Bush Gardens we are allowed a tasting room at the brewery as long as you meet the requirements on hand... I know this because i am in the process of establishing my nano brewery and i jump red tape daily .

Well back to my day job, and occasionally night as well, job I guess..

I shouldn't complain, but you've got to wonder who the laws are for and why. Perhaps more importantly, for what benefit.

TD

Well back to my day job, and occasionally night as well, job I guess..

I shouldn't complain, but you've got to wonder who the laws are for and why. Perhaps more importantly, for what benefit.

TD

I've done so much research that i could almost write a mini series..All of these laws along with prohibition was all created to keep the small companies from gaining shares of what the big boss thought it was his own... I will say this, there is no reason to swim upstream . If you want a brewery there are ways to make it happen but it won't be easy.

Whether or not you can self distribute or serve on site is going to depend on what kind of license you have. As well, the state wont give out any more licenses. You have to buy an existing one from someone else. In many cases the license will be tied to the property. I know its like that here in Monroe county and I think the rest of FL too. My buddy is opening a nano(aiming for next month) and they can serve beer on site but can't distribute around town. To try and get around this he may be partnering with a packaging brewery up the keys.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Whether or not you can self distribute or serve on site is going to depend on what kind of license you have. As well, the state wont give out any more licenses. You have to buy an existing one from someone else. In many cases the license will be tied to the property. I know its like that here in Monroe county and I think the rest of FL too. My buddy is opening a nano(aiming for next month) and they can serve beer on site but can't distribute around town. To try and get around this he may be partnering with a packaging brewery up the keys.

You are talking about a "liquor" license now, the license that let's you sell your beer. Idiotic that the state government wouldn't permit more licenses or even specialized licenses that are for brewpubs and breweries, as opposed to licenses for convenience stores/regular bars or restaurants. In case they hadn't noticed the craft beer movement in the country. Also, at least where I live, no restaurant could succeed without at least beer or wine sales, and there are very few places to eat in proportion to the population.. The laws seems strongly in favor of the distributors, and crazy that they think this territorial distribution three tiered system helps to promote fair and competitive trade. The distribution tier is essentially a monopoly for their territory.

I gotta give a big kudos to all you who have the determination to fight through all the red tape in order to follow your dreams and make great beer for the people to drink.

TD

TrickyDick said:
You are talking about a "liquor" license now, the license that let's you sell your beer. Idiotic that the state government wouldn't permit more licenses or even specialized licenses that are for brewpubs and breweries, as opposed to licenses for convenience stores/regular bars or restaurants. In case they hadn't noticed the craft beer movement in the country. Also, at least where I live, no restaurant could succeed without at least beer or wine sales, and there are very few places to eat in proportion to the population.. The laws seems strongly in favor of the distributors, and crazy that they think this territorial distribution three tiered system helps to promote fair and competitive trade. The distribution tier is essentially a monopoly for their territory.

I gotta give a big kudos to all you who have the determination to fight through all the red tape in order to follow your dreams and make great beer for the people to drink.

TD

It's not exactly a liquor license but its similar. Different licenses allow distribution vs drink on premise. I think zoning also comes into play with all of this as well. Though I'm no expert I've just been watching my friend jump through all the same hoops to get started and heard him talk about what he can and can't do with his license. It's definitely a complicated mess.

Its pretty simple .If you don't have a thick skin and determination no matter how awful they (government ) makes you feel then owning a brewery shouldn't be a dream you may want to pursue...A lot of people go into the supplies field to avoid the red tape or even the teaching how to brew and storage or said beer on permise

In FL you have to have the right zoning, which is commercial, then you have to be wet zoned to have a tasting room. All kinds of rules to follow there. So far as licensing is concerned if the zoning and wet zone are in place it's not expensive to get a beer/wine license. Part of the wet zoning also is if you want to sell package (bottles/cans), just over the tap, or both. There are different ones to go for. Liquor is a whole other ball game. It's not too difficult to figure it all out.

Also, depending on whether you get a CMB or Brew Pub license depends on whether you can wholesale as well. I know Tampa Bay Brewing Company can whole sale to distributors and sell in their pub. I think they got permission to get both a CMB and brewpub, but I'm still checking on that. If you only have a brewpub license you can not sell whole sale to a distributor. Not sure if you can sell package though (even if you are wet zoned for it).

Brewmech said:
In FL you have to have the right zoning, which is commercial, then you have to be wet zoned to have a tasting room. All kinds of rules to follow there. So far as licensing is concerned if the zoning and wet zone are in place it's not expensive to get a beer/wine license. Part of the wet zoning also is if you want to sell package (bottles/cans), just over the tap, or both. There are different ones to go for. Liquor is a whole other ball game. It's not too difficult to figure it all out.

Also, depending on whether you get a CMB or Brew Pub license depends on whether you can wholesale as well. I know Tampa Bay Brewing Company can whole sale to distributors and sell in their pub. I think they got permission to get both a CMB and brewpub, but I'm still checking on that. If you only have a brewpub license you can not sell whole sale to a distributor. Not sure if you can sell package though (even if you are wet zoned for it).

Those are all the things that make it really tricky down here since its a 2x4 mile island. The zoning is crazy because of it. That paired with finding the space for it in the first place and not paying an arm and a leg is a whole other issue.
As for the last thing you said I don't think you can sell package. Just beer on tap. I'll ask my friend more about the specifics and see what he says because I know his license only allows beer on premise.

Those are all the things that make it really tricky down here since its a 2x4 mile island. The zoning is crazy because of it. That paired with finding the space for it in the first place and not paying an arm and a leg is a whole other issue.
As for the last thing you said I don't think you can sell package. Just beer on tap. I'll ask my friend more about the specifics and see what he says because I know his license only allows beer on premise.

Cigar City sells their beer via package sales and over the tap. I'm pretty sure Tampa Bay Brewing Company does as well. It's all about what wet zoning you get and what state/fed permits you have. Zoning will vary county to county.

If I started a brewpub I would want all the licenses and highest available wet zoning I could get so I wouldn't limit any of my sales.

For instance in hillsborough (where I am), in order to sell beer and food for a brew pub plus package and distribution I would need at least a 2-COP wet zone (that allows unlimited alcohol sales of beer and wine plus food), and be zoned commercial, and have a a CMB from the state as well as a brewpub permit. Federal I'm not sure, but like I said, I'm trying to go talk to TBBC to figure out what all they did since they are really the model to look at.

Nothing huge to report on my end... we've started selling bottles out of the brewery and that's going extremely well. We decided to go with 1 liter and 500ML flip-top bottles instead of actual growlers. At first I was all like, "wow, my two partners are total idiots!" (yeah yeah... they check this thread so I gotta mix up a bit).... but in hind sight, they were way smahta than me. I thnk they have been working out better than growlers. They are easier to drink in either one or two sittings for the average person and are REALLY easy to simply grab a beer from over a couple of days vs a growler. They hold carbonation better (I think) because they don't have to sit as long. If you want more beer, you just buy more bottles. It's not like we are charging an arm and a leg for 'em. and refills are pretty cheap. So far the response has been really positive.

We are (just today) at least starting to think about our space. I don't think any of us had any idea that we would outgrow our space really quickly but reality is that we're four months into operations and we are now 100% constrained by our space. We have used every square inch of our space and are MAXED out. Every drop of beer we brew is gone almost instantly and we just can't squeeze another drop out of our footprint. Three months. That's all it took. We only have two accounts and bottle sales and between those three avenues, we're selling every drop we can make. We are now turning down accounts who have come to us unsolicited, because we can't make any more beer. It's a really nice problem to have but a real problem nonetheless.

"Expansion" tends to be a bit of a dirty word for breweries so we are being very level-headed about it and seeing what options we have. We'll see. If I were a betting man though, I would guess we are going to be moving onward and upward in the not-too-distant future.

Like I was saying earlier... the total lack of naked boobies CONTINUES to be a nightmare. We're stunned. Our only hope is the above-mentioned possible expansion. 9 out of 10 scientists agree that chics dig big tuns so... we're REALLY hoping any expansion we do start paying real dividends in the naked boobie department. Only time with tell.

That's really cool.

What are the financials like selling that much? Are you making enough money to put towards an expansion?

I'm happy to hear things are going well for you! Keep us updated on the expansion.

Back