Hello all newbie here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGoodwin

Reaction score
So my first time making wine, and I suppose you could say I cheated and used a Wilkinson's syrup one. It seems to have gone well so far, other than I got it to hot and it sprayed out the air lock all over my wall.
It has finished fermenting and is in my garage clearing, it's been there for 3 days but I have no idea how to tell when it is clear, it has about half an inch of sediment on the bottom of the demijohn. Should I just leave it?

I have made beer before that turned out brilliant, was a Conker wood ale.

My

So my first time making wine, and I suppose you could say I cheated and used a Wilkinson's syrup one. It seems to have gone well so far, other than I got it to hot and it sprayed out the air lock all over my wall.
It has finished fermenting and is in my garage clearing, it's been there for 3 days but I have no idea how to tell when it is clear, it has about half an inch of sediment on the bottom of the demijohn. Should I just leave it?

I have made beer before that turned out brilliant, was a Conker wood ale.

My

Rack (siphon) to a new demijohn and top up, whenever you have lees (sediment) 1/4" thick or more, or any lees at all after 60 days.

Even with a red wine? I only have 1 demijohn at the moment will have to get another and do that

No. I would go with amount of sediment in bottom of carboy.

jkrug said:
No. I would go with amount of sediment in bottom of carboy.

Cool, I siphoned a bit off in to a glass it was a bit cloudy so it's not ready

Back