Is kegging a Belgian frowned upon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
But kegging is so much easier. I know Belgians are higher carbed than most ales, which may be a problem for my keg setup because I don't have a dual regulator and I have 5ft lines. So if I did keg my belgian the carb level will have to be lower than most Belgians. Is kegging a belgian frowned upon anyways?

It's your brew in your house do what you want. I have a quad layering in a keg right now, didn't think twice about it. Most Belgians are actually not carbed too high anyways.

It's your brew in your house do what you want. I have a quad layering in a keg right now, didn't think twice about it. Most Belgians are actually not carbed too high anyways.

The owner of my LHBS looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I may keg my belgian. Do you know any benefits bottling would do to this beer other than ageing?

BansheeRider said:
The owner of my LHBS looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I may keg my belgian. Do you know any benefits bottling would do to this beer other than ageing?

You mean, other than your LHBS selling more bottles, corks and cages?

Nope. Aging is about it. That can be a bit 'it' though.

He probably said that because many belgians, especially if your doing something like a Tripel will take months to age properly. Your in essence wasting a keg that could be used to serve beer thats actually ready to drink.

Other than that there's no reason not too.

He probably said that because many belgians, especially if your doing something like a Tripel will take months to age properly. Your in essence wasting a keg that could be used to serve beer thats actually ready to drink.

Other than that there's no reason not too.

I made a belgian similar to this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/more-fun-blonde.html

It says ready in six weeks so maybe this is not a belgian tripel.

BansheeRider said:

You should thank this owner for his "advice", and find a different shop!!

Folks get things stuck in there head that there is only one way. You won't find things like Westy 12 or Chimay blue on tap so I think it creates the belief that good Belgian beer needs to be bottle conditioned. There are some benefits to bottle conditioning; but, you can get those from kegging by simply naturally carbing in the keg.

I made a belgian similar to this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/more-fun-blonde.html

It says ready in six weeks so maybe this is not a belgian tripel.

Yea Blonde's are a different beast, and are a much lighter beer. I assumed in this thread we were talking about a big Belgian beer like a Tripel or Quad, in which case the shop keeper was at least PARTIALLY right ...still nothing like that is set in stone and its not likely to actually affect the beer.

Your fine Kegging a Blonde...

I kegged a saison and it is a nice contrast to have on tap with my Falconers Flight DIPA. Its light, crisp and refreshing for those who don't want a hop bomb. I echo the others above and do what you want since its your house. With that said I have a Tripel that is going to bottled since its gonna be ~10.5% and I don't want that on tap since I have limited space in the fridge.

The only other downfall to kegging a Belgian is that you aren't able to do the swirl and pour like you can with a bottle. Most Belgians are poured like a Hefe. The yeast in the glass is a good thing and adds complexity to the beer.

The only other downfall to kegging a Belgian is that you aren't able to do the swirl and pour like you can with a bottle. Most Belgians are poured like a Hefe. The yeast in the glass is a good thing and adds complexity to the beer.

Lift more weights and swirl that keg if yeasty Belgians are your thing :D

Yea Blonde's are a different beast, and are a much lighter beer. I assumed in this thread we were talking about a big Belgian beer like a Tripel or Quad, in which case the shop keeper was at least PARTIALLY right ...still nothing like that is set in stone and its not likely to actually affect the beer.

Your fine Kegging a Blonde...

Yeah it's a belgian blonde low gravity. The OG was 1065 and the FG is 1011, so its relatively a light beer with a punch (7% ABV). I think I'll go ahead and keg it along with my IPA.

Generally, those who enjoy the 'vitamins' in a bottled Belgian, drink them after the clear beer rather than like a Hefe.

Belgians are carbonated (traditionally) much higher, from at least a third to twice as much (over 10 grams per liter) 3 to 5 volumes.

I have had success kegging belgians and sampled bulk conditioned beer (keg) vs. a bottle conditioned beer from the same batch and prefer the kegged version. I am of the opinion that belgians like to bulk condition, why not do it in a keg. Avery doesn't bottle condition the reverend (i think) and it's pretty righteous (no pun intended).

Belgians are carbonated (traditionally) much higher, from at least a third to twice as much (over 10 grams per liter) 3 to 5 volumes.

I have had success kegging belgians and sampled bulk conditioned beer (keg) vs. a bottle conditioned beer from the same batch and prefer the kegged version. I am of the opinion that belgians like to bulk condition, why not do it in a keg. Avery doesn't bottle condition the reverend (i think) and it's pretty righteous (no pun intended).

Well since I don't have a dual reg ill have to bottle any beer that requires that high of carbonation.

Well since I don't have a dual reg ill have to bottle any beer that requires that high of carbonation.

You would need special bottles too, i dont think your standard brown 12 or 22oz can support much over like 3.5 volumes before they pop.

You would need special bottles too, i dont think your standard brown 12 or 22oz can support much over like 3.5 volumes before they pop.

Really! Well that's unfortunate. I guess I won't be making many more Belgians. What about a belgian blonde though. Can I get away with 2-2.5 volumes of co2?

Really! Well that's unfortunate. I guess I won't be making many more Belgians. What about a belgian blonde though. Can I get away with 2-2.5 volumes of co2?

2-2.5 is no problem. That is what most beers are. If I carb higher than that, I usually use my thicker Grolsch bottles.

FWIW, I have only had bombs in one batch. I was aiming for 2.4 volumes but I think my fermentation was stuck and kicked back up after I bottled. FG was close, but high enough to make a difference. All my 12oz bottles were fine (although foamy) but about a third of my 22's blew. I have been very careful with any beer that I put in 22's since then.

BansheeRider said:

Dude, make all the Belgians you want. Carb them how you want. Keg or bottle, your choice. Most Belgian brewers would probably be disappointed in this thread; they pride themselves in innovation and breaking "the rules". I love Belgians but don't care for the overly fizzy, "champagne like" mouthfeel of some. That's the joy of home brewing, cater your brew to your tastes. If anyone tells you that's "wrong", tell em you don't wanna be right!!!

A blonde is generally less carbed than a saison, tripel or beer de guard anyway. 2.5 is fine for blondes, dubbles and even strong darks and quads. Its going against tradition, but if no one ever did in brewing we all would have open buckets of wort sitting next to fruit trees.

Latest posts

Back